Capítulo Veinticuatro

A/N: Elena Reed - Arsen's youngest sister - in the photo above, played by Cameron Seely. (Isn't she adorable?!)

Chapter 24

I glare outside of the window.

"Are you crazy, Arsen?!" I bark, not being able to stay quiet for long. He growls.

"What do you think?" He hisses. I scoff, pacing the room.

"Arsen Reed, he is going to go after your family, and you're sat there not doing anything?" I shout, throwing my arms in the air. Arsen looks up.

"I'm not sat, Xanthe, I'm stood. And in case you've been too busy to notice, I'll let you know that I have been doing something, so shut up!" He shouts back. I pause.

Wow. That's definitely a first.

Hearing him say 'shut up' is like entering heaven. Weirdly.

"Arsen, listen to me," I say gently, grabbing both of his arms. "He's going after your family. Your mom, who gave birth to you, who fed you and clothed and loved you. He's going after your siblings, you can't let this happen," I whisper.

He stays quiet for a long time. Then moves away from me.

"Xanthe, my family is none of your business," He hisses, his voice icy cold. I look at him.

"Arsen...I know," I say.

"You know what?" He asks impatiently, his amber eyes blazing. I swallow.

"I know...that your father's alive," I mutter. Arsen turns rigid.

He stays quiet for a very, very long time. 

Maybe he forgot how to speak--

Not the time.

"How do you know?" He asks. I pause.

Oh. No.

He wasn't supposed to ask me that. He was not supposed to ask me that.

"Xanthe," He says, his voice going deep. "How. Did. You. Know?" He growls. I gulp, afraid he can actually hear my heartbeat beating.

You see, there are two things about Arsen's voice, aside from the sexiness:

1. If he shouts or talks loudly in an angry manner, he isn't angry at all but disappointed and annoyed.

2. If his voice goes quiet, deep or eerily calm, it means he's so mad he might kill someone. Fact, not an assumption.

Right now, he's very, very mad.

"I've met him," I whisper. Arsen's eyes narrow.

They actually narrow. Properly, and not imperceptibly like they usually do. 

Another first.

"Xanthe Jacox, if you're lying to me I'm going to--"

"You're going to what, Arsen? What could you possibly do to erase my memory of your dad?" I ask, taking a deep breath. 

"--rip your head off."

I snort. Out of anger, not humour.

Because I know he would.

"Arsen, your family is in danger right now, do you understand me? They could die. And everything about you tells me that you don't like that idea. Which brings me to the question, why don't you stop him?" I ask, practically begging.

"I have until fucking midnight to make a decision, Xanthe, so let me decide," He answers. I shake my head, stopping him from walking out.