Capitulo Veintisiete

Chapter 27

I looked behind me, the footsteps of another person echoing.

That's certainly not good.

You don't freaking say.

"Get back here!" Someone screams. I'm assuming it's Teel since only he has a voice as high as Barbie's.

No offence, Barbie.

Suddenly, I hear the vibration of my phone in my back pocket, and I hurriedly take it out.

An unknown number?

"Hello?" I ask, quickly dashing into a crevice as I turn a corner.

A few seconds later, Teel appears, rushing right past me.

He'll be running for a while.

"Xanthe? It's me, John," I hear the voice, and sigh in relief.

"Hey, John," I say. "Boy, is it good to hear your voice,"

"I'm flattered, really. Do you know how to get to the exit?" He asks. I furrow my eyebrows.

"John, I feel like I'm in prison. I don't even know how many people are here," I hiss into the phone. I hear him sigh.

"Right. There's this guy I know, his name's Kade, and he's not in Canada currently, but he knows where you are. Just tell him you're at Rosemont Hospital, and he'll--"

My eyes widen. "I know him. Don't worry, I'll call and ask if he knows anything, thanks, John," And with that, I quickly end the call.

Do I have Kade's number?

Yes, I do.

I dial it in and wait for a while.

"Hello?" I hear and immediately jump to attention.

"Kade. It's me," I say.

I open my mouth to start talking, but he does instead. "Who?"

Everything's silent for a while, and I'm trying not to smash this phone into the wall.

"Kidding. What do you need?" He says eventually, and I roll my eyes, slapping myself on the head.

"So, I'm stuck in a hospital, and I need to get out," I tell him hurriedly. I hear a snort somewhere.

"Use Google Maps," He tells me in a monotone voice, and I growl.

"Kade, I need you to tell me how to get out, or I'm going to die. My own mother will kill me if she realizes that I'm trying to escape!" I scream at him through the phone.

Quietly, of course.

"Fine, I was kidding anyway. Have you tried the exit?" He asks. A short while later, I hear another slight snort. "Sorry, kidding. How good are you at running?"

After I've stopped glaring at the phone, I take a deep breath. "I'm average."

"That's not good enough, but it'll do. Can you tell me where you are right now?" He asks. I furrow my eyebrows and peak out of the little crack I'm in.

"Uh...yeah. I'm in a long hallway with only one wooden door, decorated with...kids paintings, and the walls are white. A bit too white, actually, with little flower patterns on them. The patterns are red, by the way."

I swallow, muttering quietly; "Freakishly red."

"That means you're probably hiding in between to walls that are split, right?" He asks. I quietly step out a second to check.