Capítulo Cuarenta y Nueve

Chapter 49

I hear a knock on my door, and turn to see who it is. Ameena gives me a calculative look.

"You haven't answered Dean's calls at all these past two days," She tells me, her dark eyes looking just as emotionless as his.

Why, out of all the days, does she now remind me of him?

"I didn't think it was important. What did he say?" I ask.

"Told us to get rid of that maid we had, she almost ratted us out to the police," She tells me. I snort.

"Killed her?"

"Had to. It was fun watching her cry and try to run away from me. Just, don't tell Kade, he kind of used her for a bit, and she liked it," Ameena chuckles slightly. My mouth falls open but I don't say anything.

I didn't think Kade was into maids.

She was a nice one, though, made me fruit kebabs once in a while.

I look at Ameena and furrow my eyebrows.

"Ams, can I ask you something?"

She smiles. "Sure, ask away," I nod.

"Why don't you let me in your room?"

Her smile vanishes immediately, her guarded expression coming back on.

I guess I've never mentioned this before, but Ameena is quite the warrior. She's damn loyal, knows how to scare people, and has a way of making you think she's from the army or something.

She's never turned us down when we've needed her, and every time Kade and Jax have an argument which turns into fist-fighting, she breaks it up.

Partly because they're hella afraid, partly because Jax is madly in love and always wants to impress her.

It's kind of the same with all the guys, they worship her like she's an elder sibling.

But Ameena's different. Her laughs are rare, and her smiles are firm. She's a little like Arsen, just more lively about it.

I've always wondered if it's got to do with her past, the reason why her heart is locked up behind walls is behind the door of her bedroom.

When she sighs, I realize maybe she is ready to open up.

"Do you really want to know?" She asks, and the atmosphere seems almost thick with tension. I nod.

"I really want to know," I reply. She looks at me for a while, with a sober expression.

Then her eyes narrow in that scary way. "Really?"

I giggle nervously, scooching away from her a bit. "Y-yeah. Please don't kill me."

She giggles and gets up. "Come on then, before I change my mind."

I immediately rush off after her, eager to see the guards protecting her walls from breaking.

She pauses in front of the door, and I naturally bump into her, oof-ing slightly.

"What?" I ask wearily. She turns.

"If you come into my room, I'll have to tell you everything."

Seems like she doesn't want to from the terrifying look I'm getting. I gulp, smiling at her.

"Uh, you don't have to," I drawl out, and with a determined expression, she opens her door and barges in.

At first glance, it's normal.