𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚢'𝚜 𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚎

✩ Anna "The Huntress" ✘ Reader ✩

❝You can always feel safe in my arms. I'll never let you go.❞

TRIGGER WARNING. THERE IS A MENTION/HINTED DEPRESSION

EDITED ON 5/10/22

Anna was walking through the forest; she needed to hunt for food because she had run out that morning. Her stomach growled as she stepped on the freshly bloomed dandelions. The hatchets that laid in the loops of her belt dinged against each other, and the mask her mother made bobbled on her head. Anna hummed to herself. She watched the trees sway around her, and in the cluttered movement, she saw a squirrel running against the branches. Her hums grew louder as she steadied her aim to kill the wild animal, but when she was about to release her weapon, Anna heard broken sobs, which caused her to waver her hatchet and ultimately put it back in her belt loop.

Anna saw you through the trees dance and fluffy bushes. You were sitting at the bottom of a tree trunk, the leaves shaded you from the sun's heat, but the cool air didn't help the tears from your eyes. Crumpled up letters laid at your side and in your hands. They were paper memories from a multitude of people. However, the most notable was your mother. She had passed a couple months prior, which resulted in you being shrouded in grief. However, leading up to the death, you had to watch your mother suffer. The image of her lying in the hospital stayed ingrained in your mind and haunted you while you slept.

So, here you were, consumed in lost words and wondering if death really was that bad and if you could be reunited with the only person who really loved and appreciated you. But Anna dragged you out of the thought. She ended up sitting next to you and secretly glancing at the paper words. You guessed she had an idea of why you were sitting alone crying to yourself while reading letters, but she was a stranger who didn't know everything you'd been through. A stranger who lifted her hand to place atop your head and message with small half-circles. The touch made you relax against the strain you had initially put upon yourself, and slowly your tears began to dry, and your nerves slowed to a steady beat.

Anna gave you a final head pat after you regained complete composure before she stood up. You watched as she took a couple steps forward, and her frame dropped with defeat. She turned to look back at you and beckoned for you to follow. You picked yourself up off the rough tree trunk, grabbed the letters, and followed Anna on her hunting trip.

After a bag of dead animal carcasses was collected, you went to Anna's cottage. It was quaint and quiet. You wondered how she lived with herself for so long. She hinted at former roommates, but her demeanor quickly changed when she talked, so you decided not to pry about what you assumed was a touchy subject. You began to grow tired of what had happened in the forest, and the sun from the windows shined in just a way that made your blinks sluggish. Anna motioned you towards her bedroom, and once you made contact with the sheets, you blacked out.

Anna went through every creature she killed and skinned their fur in your slumber. She cleaned them as much as she could before storing them where they wouldn't decompose as fast as usual. Anna also started cooking a small meal that you could consume together. She sat at the table and waited until the food was ready before she went to wake you up.

Anna shuffled into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed as she rubbed your curled-up body awake. You stretched against the sheets that concealed you, yawned, and then mumbled something incoherent about why you were being woken up.

"I made food. For you and me." After she spoke, Anna rose to her feet and left you alone to finish waking up. Your stomach growled as the smell of fresh food wafted into the bedroom. The scent made you sit up and take in a deep inhale. You stretched your arms out above you, causing your whole body to shake, and apparently, your movements were taking too long because Anna came back into the bedroom.

"Come." She took your hand in hers and allowed you to step onto the floor and acquire balance before pulling you to the main room. You giggled as you swayed against her touch because you never quite got the balance you needed. You plopped down into the chair and watched Anna serve you the steaming food when you got to the table. You smiled and thanked her as you began to divulge in the food. It filled you with contentment as both of you commenced in small talk. The action of learning more about one another made you feel as if you got to have someone to rely on and confide in all over again.