Masks

✩ Meg Thomas "Energetic Athlete" ✘ Susie "The Legion" ✩

❝Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.❞

This chapter was requested by Domonoasis

AHhhh. This chapter sucks ass. Guess this is what I get for going to a party that ends at 11 at night. Well, I'll make a part 2 if you guys want just bc I think this is shitty. Also if all this shit is late, I'm sorry, I'm probably playing Overwatch bc of the new event.

Susie was walking the upstairs catwalk. Her hands pushed the sides of her mask, trying her best to line it back up to her face. Her steps were light against the roughed up carpet, and her broken ruler was tucked nicely into her hoodie pocket. She was on her way to Julie's room because the short-haired girl had texted her minutes before asking if she would go up to her room and look for a particular mask that was stored away in a drawer. She had said yes only to keep the peace that would soon disappear.

As she was nearing the room, Susie heard loud rustling from behind the door. She frowned and put her hand on the doorknob, turning it lightly. The movement stopped abruptly as she saw Julie sitting on her bed with her spare mask on. "Julie? What are you doing here? I thought you went outside to smoke, you legit just texted me to come up here and find the mask for you."

As Susie started to stare at the girl in front of her, she noticed her body shivering with fear. Julie never got scared unless she was under the Entity's 'gaze,' Susie remembered when the group was transported to this land by the spider-like claws. They were all terrified for their life with the lasting regret of their first murder. The short-haired girl had grown a metal backbone since then, putting on a face of bravery when she was intimated or panicked. "Why are you shaking?"

The girl's hand moved quickly to her head, scratching her scalp in an attempt to think of a reason to give the pink-haired girl. But as she rubbed, her braided red hair fell from the masks hold, making Susie gasp. "Wait... You're not Jules... Meg?"

Susie inched towards Meg, confused as to why she would be at their home. The survivor sputtered out nonsense, letting a drop of sweat fall from her covered forehead. She took the mask off and held it in her hands as guilt washed over her, Susie's confused gazed stayed on Meg as more questions poured out of her mouth. "What are you doing here? Why are you at the Legion hideout?"

Meg sighed and handed the mask to Susie. "They wanted to learn what I could on you guys, and this was my hiding place from Frank. Do you think you can get me outta here?"

Susie looked at the mask, an overwhelming feeling washed over her as she glanced back at the survivor. She put the cover back into the drawer where it belonged and grabbed a spare she gave Julie for her to borrow. "Yeah... I guess, here take this mask... Julie never lets other people wear hers so the others would be suspicious... This one is a prototype they made for me... I didn't like it..."

Meg looked at the mask and placed it on her face. Her eyes were concealed behind the small holes while light shined through gaps and cracks. They slowly made their way out of Julies' room and into the hallway where the floorboards creaked. Both went down the steps being careful as to not to trip on the holes needed to be fixed.

They trodded lightly through the hideout, checking around corners to make sure of Meg's safe escape. "Susie, what are you doing?" The two women stopped short and turned around slowly; Joey stood behind them with his hands in his pockets.

"Huh, oh, Joey... I can explain..." Susie waved her hands around, making Joey grimace from the inside of his mask. He sighed and walked closer to the pair, tilting his head at the misplaced survivor.

"Is that... Meg?" Sweat started to drip from the redheads back; she knew deep down that she was going to end up on the floor with a knife in her gut.

Susie looked down and massaged her hands. "Yes, but-"

"Why is she here?"

Susie's feet tapped nervously. "I-... Uh... I'm escorting her back! Yeah... She uh, was... She spawned here by accident! And... I'm sending her through our exit gate and back to the survivor campfire!"

Joey shrugged and nodded his head. "Oh, ok. That makes sense. Nice to see you, Meg, even if our other meetings aren't too friendly." He walked away after waving goodbye. Meg took a deep breath, letting her heart take a break. Susie took hold of her hand and pulled her to one of the multiple doors. They walked through the few inches of snow in the direction of one of the exit gates. The redhead took off her mask and held it in her right hand, letting her face breath.

"How did you convince him?" Meg was curious about their relationship, but she was trying to distract from the blush forming on her cheeks.

Susie smiled slightly, thinking back to the man who she's known for a while. "He tries to see the good in what I do, even if it's against 'killer protocol.'"

They reached the gate; an awkward tension filled the area as they stood by the portal to all the different realms. Meg stepped forward to the exit but stopped short when she remembered the mask in her hand. She turned her head back to face Susie before giving her a small grin. "Thank you. You didn't have to help me," She held the mask out trying to get the girl in front of her to take it, "Maybe I'll think twice about stabbing you in the back!"

They both giggled, but Susie pushed the object back towards Meg. "Keep it. And, well, next time I can leave you for Frank and Julie, so... You're welcome."

They both smiled and waved goodbye to each other before Susie turned around to go back towards the hideout. But as she was going, she felt arms wrap around her waist. Her eyes became wide as she glanced back at Meg. "Though, thank you, Susie. I'll see you around." Then the redhead ran off, leaving the pink-haired girl with a warmth resonating in her heart and a cold skin from the lingering effect of the grip that was once on her.

~~~~
Photo credits to ask Susie-dbd on Tumblr