Vigo's Apprentice

✩ Dwight Fairfield "Nervous Leader" ✘ Fem!Reader ✩

❝Don't find fault, find a remedy.❞

A chapter that no-one wanted, but it's here anyway

This is the 'first' chapter in the Halloween specials. You can either start with Dwight or Claudette. It says about the same.

Dedicated to my Discord, you guys are the best _Adiris Junostel wriitersbIock

I had heard whispers of an individual named Vigo when I sat around the campfire. In the short time I was here, I have learned he was an inventor and researcher who studied the Entity and its Realms, to the point he created things to aid us, survivors. I've overheard that his Laboratory is hidden in between all the realms making it hard for The Entity to find him, but he's called on a few survivors to train under his supervision. This makes me wonder why he needs some of us; I can't tell the time of day, but it feels chilly maybe we are in fall, and if we are, why now?

I shake my head and look back to the fire in front of me. It crackled with age as it kept us warm, my E/C orbs looked around, finding Dwight and Claudette sitting beside each other. The leader seemed more nervous than usual; his hand shook as he gripped at a white cloth. I tilted my head, looking closer at what he had in his hand, and I couldn't tell if it was the fire that was illuminating his lap or something under the sheet that he wanted to keep hidden.

I looked back up at Claudette, and she looked at the anxious man beside her with a quick look. Both of them stood up frantically, and I could see three-leaf lookalikes flutter to the ground when they rose. They both let go of a cloth that was filled with whatever fell to the ground just seconds before. I got up and went over to where their bodies disappeared with a black and orange crosshatching. On the dead grass was something I had never seen before, dark brown leaves that seemed to be dying but breathing at the same time they would momentarily light up with a faint orange in the cracks. I picked up the breakable objects and threw them into the fire; my vision slowly blurred as air flowed around my body.

This feeling was ever too familiar, but the terrain around me was not. I gasped as I realized the scene around me was full of life, unlike the dark and dreary Realms you visit all the time. As I walked to what seemed to be the main brick filled rubble, I saw two shadows enter the gap between the fallen walls, with what appeared to be the same build as Claudette and Dwight. Slowly I made my way to where the brick covered my body just enough to peer inside the dimly lit area that seemed to be the only human-made thing inhabiting the land. The two survivors I had just seen throw leaves into the campfire were now talking to someone with what seemed to be a dark brown robe with no indication of their face due to the lack of light. It looked like they nodded their heads to whatever the person said and walked off towards the back of the area.

I stayed hidden for what seemed like hours when I heard a surprised whisper come from behind me. "Y/N! What are you doing here? How did you even come here?" I turned around swiftly and saw Dwight with a worried expression on his face; I looked his up and down letting my head cock to the side with confusion. His hair was fluffed every which way making c-shaped bridge spectacles with a white steel frame pop against his ragged beard, he wore a phosphorous lined work suit with a single breast waistcoat that shows the end of a concealed pocket watch where his handheld against the pocket with bright orange illuminating against the underside of his fingernails, his pants were brown loose-fitted trousers that carried a heavy-looking keyring which paired nicely with his black work shoes. As you stared, even more, you realized this was more than just a secret, it was an experiment, and you didn't want to be the next victim.

My body unknowingly backed itself onto the brickwork behind me, making me hyperventilate with anxiety. Dwight bit at his lip, his eyes landing everywhere but on me. As tears started to flow down my face, I could tell he became anxious; he outstretched his hand to where I could reach. My body was inched upwards to where I wobbled on my knees to a different location where a few boxes covered a ghastly looking canker, and I sat down on the stray tables letting out small sniffles as the man in front of me took out a needle that was bigger than average. "I'm sorry you're here, you probably wanting to know what's going on. Do you know the inventor Vigo, well... He sent Claw and me letters that were disguised as offerings to join him in his plan to escape. And I guess since you're here, would you want to leave with us?" He worked nervously, and his hands shook as he gently pushed the tip into the part that illuminated the most and extracted the gradient liquid. I shuddered as I watched him shakily take out a vial and squirt the juice into the bottle, staining the sides with its orange-yellow tint. As he mentioned the possibility of getting out of here, my head perked up, at this time, I had calmed down ultimately and now longed for the outside world. I shook my head vigorously, making him smile, by now he filled a third of vial worth of the liquid he was collecting.

We did the same thing until we had about two vials filled, Dwight stopped me as we neared the main point of wherever we were. He grabbed my hand and left six leaves in my palm; they were the same as the ones I threw into the campfire before. "We are entering the purging phase, if you want, come tomorrow, and don't tell anyone about this. You can learn more if you want, but Vigo doesn't know you're here, and he might kill me if he finds out. Don't tell Claudette; I don't want another lecture. There's an exit gate west of here; it's always open and takes you to the land between killer and survivor, so please be careful. Hopefully, I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N." I smiled and hugged him briefly, turning away towards the direction he pointed to. As I walked, I turned my head and saw him pull out a rusted looking key. My heart became heavy for an unknown reason, making me wonder if I should have even come. I neared the gate and sighed, another day forever dead and alive.