Chapter Thirteen

Vote / Comment / Fan? :3

Chapter Thirteen

That following night, after working at the Harley's Diner, i went straight into my room to change into my pajamas and do my homework which was around eight. After answering all the questions assigned to me from each of my subjects, I went onto starting my essay for English. Though, Ms. Saunders made it clear to the entire class that it wouldn't be due for another three weeks, I figured I might as well get a head start. When I had managed to finish writing the first three pages, I looked at the clock and let out a heavy sigh. It was already one in the morning.

          Usually, for most people they'd be dead tired by now but for me, I wasn't. My eyes were still wide awake and I had no intention of falling asleep any time soon. This was probably because of the five cups of coffee I drank while working my shift at the diner. 

          "God," I muttered to myself as I got up from my seat. "I should consider laying off the caffeine for a bit."

          I exited my room and made my way slowly down the tight corridor-- careful not disturb my sister and my mother. As I did, I passed by many pictures of me growing up, most of which were taken during the time we still lived in our old house beside the Gray's. For a moment, I just stopped walking and took a second to look at each and every one of the photos hung up on the wall. I passed by this wall so many times before that I rarely ever take the time to stop and marvel about my childhood. Looking at it now,  I smiled as I recalled all those happy memories I had as a child and how everything seemed so much simpler back than-- back than where you didn't have a single care in the entire world. I miss those days, I seriously did.

          Just as I was about to continue walking down the hallway, my eyes came upon a picture that, to my dismay, actually put a smile on my face. It was picture of Vincent and I when we were in in fourth grade standing in front of our houses with arms around each other as we grinned widely at the camera. We were soaking wet since the photo was taken by my mother after we had a major water-fight with all the kids around the block. These were probably one of the many pictures where Vincent's mother probably had an exact copy hanging up on her walls too. 

          "You guys were the best of friends," a voice said behind me.          

          Surprised, I turned around to see my mother standing behind me with a blanket wrapped around her arms. She looked tired but she still managed to put a smile on her face. This is what I absolutely adored about my mother; no matter how difficult things get or how stressful situations may be, she always puts a smile on her face because she honestly believed everything will turn out just fine. I wish I had her perspective on life because unlike her, I believed that the only way to be happy is to work for it.

          I shrugged as I looked back at the picture. "Things change," I whispered. "It's as simple as that."

          My mother softly laughed as she walked right up beside me. She took one look at the picture and laughed slightly louder. "I remember when we first moved into that house and how you constantly told me the boy next door was annoying you," she whispered back at me.

          I snorted.  "He was the one gave me the nickname Anna Banana, you know?"

          "Yes, but you guys eventually became the best of friends by second grade," my mother replied as she looked back at the picture. She then let out a chuckle. "That Vincent was such a trouble-maker that I was worried he would be a bad influence on you."