Chapter 2

Cecilia could feel that she was weaving an illusion of safety, but she didn't want to stop herself because the other option was too terrifying. If she accepted the supernatural explanation, that would mean that she was being hunted and that was something her mind couldn't comprehend.

Instead, she tried to lead a normal life, to have regular, supernatural-free days. She went to her friend's party, firm in her decision to ignore the strange feeling in the pit of her stomach.

It was a great party, but she was so restless that she couldn't fully enjoy it. Thus, she decided to go back home and sleep it off.

It was late at night when she finally headed home. The streets were deserted, everything was quiet, too quiet. She could hear the echo of her high heels hitting the pavement. The sound was very loud in the dead silence of the night.

Then, out of the blue, a car approached her making her feel very uncomfortable. She wasn't the kind of girl who would be easily frightened, but still, she was aware that it was the middle of the night, and she was all alone while there were four guys in the car.

They seemed kind, with their polite and apologetic smiles, but for some reason, she didn't trust them. Those expressions were eerily similar as if they had practiced them together.

They stopped and asked her for directions, being careful to keep up the facade. There was something unnatural and strange about them, so she answered quickly, and started walking away at a fast pace.

Cecilia assumed they would not follow her because there was a police station in the running distance from where they were. They tried to stop her with some comments, but she just kept going as if she was in a hurry.

She tried very hard to walk in a self-confident but brisk way that would appear suitable for the given situation. The truth was that she had to take deep and steady breaths to keep up the charade.

When she finally got home, she locked the doors and made herself a cup of cocoa to help her calm down. As always it worked its charm on her tired body. Soon after that, she brushed her teeth and went to bed.

She fell asleep too quickly to register the strange sound nearby, it sounded like a bird hitting her window with its wings. Cecilia was too exhausted to hear any of that or feel the dark energy that surrounded her.

The next day flew by without any events, strange or otherwise and she was secretly grateful for it.

When the night fell, she decided to take a walk to breathe in some fresh air, to clear her head. Sometimes, she got so closed in, in her little world, that she forgot to appreciate the real world and all its beauties that were right outside her door.

Walking down the street, absorbed in her thoughts, she was startled when a pale, dark-haired man suddenly appeared in front of her. At least, it seemed sudden to her, since she was so distracted.

After the initial jolt of fear that went through her, she noticed that the guy in front of her was impossibly handsome. He was the most handsome guy she had ever seen, but she could sense that he was also very dangerous.

In her opinion, danger made life more interesting, it made it spicy, worth living. If everything was safe and cozy it would be boring.

When he started talking, she found herself transfixed by his powerful, manly voice. It was as if she was under a spell that she couldn't break.

"What is your name? Are you lost? Have you escaped some kind of institution? Where do you live?" he asked.

She stood frozen in place, unable to open her mouth since her body was sending her so many opposing feelings. It was some kind of strange mixture of utter fear and pure pleasure.

"I am a police officer, so you can tell me, don't worry." He said misinterpreting her silence.

She said that she was just taking a walk, but she realized she had been going in circles so it must've looked suspicious to the police officer.

Still, something made her cautious as she explained that she lived nearby (not explaining where exactly), and that she was not lost and hadn't escaped any institutions.

Her answer seemed to appease him, and he believed in the truth of her words. Before leaving, he gave her a huge smile, probably to reassure her, but it had the opposite effect on her. It felt like a predator showing off its teeth to its prey. Chills ran down her spine.

When he left, she felt both relief and emptiness.

"What is wrong with me?!" she thought to herself, as she headed back home.

That was the night she had her first nightmare or was it a nightmare?