Chapter 46

Cecilia whizzed through the forest so fast that she barely noticed the trees which were just a blur to her because of the supernatural speed she was using. Still, when she came closer to the house, she slowed down a bit to fix her already perfect hair and check if she was presentable.

She felt like a schoolgirl going on her first date, even though before kissing him she wasn't even aware of the strong emotions that were brewing in her lifeless heart. It was as if she had buried those feelings deep down, letting them simmer on slow heat until the heat was too much and it exploded in the passionate kiss they shared.

At human pace, she started moving towards the house, fully aware that he could sense her approach and extremely grateful he was not hurrying her.

As she approached the door, she could see him standing in the middle of the room facing the door, waiting for her. The expression on his face was so cautious and scared that she wasn't sure how she should approach him.

Before she even had a chance to decide what she would say or do, her body took control over her actions, and for the first time, she was grateful for its reaction. In a second, she was hugging Tobias tightly reveling in his presence and comforting him that everything was okay, that they were okay.

"I am sorry for running away. That must have looked strange. I wasn't running away from... what happened... I mean the kiss..." Cecilia started stuttering.

"It's okay, I understand. You got scared. It's normal." Tobias said.

"No, I mean yes, but not because of the kiss... I mean that was great... I mean, if you think it was..." Cecilia started babbling.

Now that she was faced with him, she thought she might have misinterpreted the situation, that he didn't think the kiss was as great as she thought it was. She thought it might have been just an instinct to kiss back, that it meant little to him. However, her thoughts of self-doubt were soon interrupted in the best way possible.

Realizing that no words could describe to her, how amazing it was to be kissed by her, to taste her soft lips and feel the emotions he thought were dead and buried for an eternity, he kissed her.

It was the softest, the gentlest kiss she had ever felt and her mind couldn't even begin to comprehend that a vampire could be so gentle and caring. His lips brushed over hers slowly, delicately.

Their lips were dancing together in a fluttery, airy dance that filled her with a wonderful sensation of being more than a mere vampire, of being worthy of someone's attention and gentleness.

Lost as they were in the sweetness of the kiss, they didn't notice Helen's approach which with vampire senses was quite a challenge not to notice. The kiss was so all-consuming that all of their enhanced senses were focused on each other. Feeling textures. Scenting sweet sense. Hearing soft intakes of unnecessary air. Looking into depths of each other's eyes instead of closing them. They were consumed in each other thoroughly.

"Ahem," Helen cleared her throat to get their attention.

Tobias and Cecilia quickly broke apart having identical sheepish expressions on their faces and it was obvious that if they hadn't been vampires they would've been blushing profusely. They looked like two small children who were caught doing something they knew they shouldn't.

"I am sorry to interrupt but I do think we have some urgent matters to discuss," Helen said.

Finally recovering from the embarrassment from being caught in such a private moment by Helen, and failing to register her approach, they were able to register the urgency of her voice.

"What's wrong?" Tobias managed to ask regaining his composure.

"I am sorry to say, but my sources weren't as reliable as they usually are. This island is not as well-stocked in blood as I had hoped. I was told there were at least two or three hospitals here with a large supply of blood but that is not true." Helen said.

It was obvious that she was thoroughly annoyed that for the first time in a while her resources had failed her. Still, she managed to keep her tone rational, and she focused only on the facts and not how annoyed she was by the unreliable vampire who told her about the island.

"What can we do?" Tobias asked.

"Well, the blood supply is not enough for the three of us to sustain ourselves for a long time. We could survive on animals' blood, but I wouldn't recommend that since you know that it makes us weaker, and we can't afford ourselves to be weak." Helen said.

"What are other options?" Tobias asked.

"We could feed on those murderers that came here to confront you. There are a lot of criminals like them on the island..." Helen said.

"That's out of the question!" Cecilia yelled.

It was the first sign that she was even listening to the conversation since Helen arrived. She seemed lost in her thoughts and emotions but the moment Helen purposed feeding on humans Cecilia became furious.

"How could you even suggest something like that! We are not the judge and jury! It's not our job to decide who lives and who dies!" Cecilia screamed at Helen.

"Calm down," Tobias said gently.

As his hand started tracing slow circles on her hand, he could see her relax, and he turned his attention to Helen.

"There must be other options," he said.

"Only one other option I am afraid, to leave. We have enough supplies for a short time but after that, we would have to leave. I have no idea where." Helen said.

She hated not knowing all the answers and thus their current situation vexed her more than she wanted to admit. For her, feeding off the vile humans who inhabited the island wouldn't be a problem, but she knew that Tobias and Cecilia would never agree to that.

"Then we will stay here for a few weeks, and after that, we will leave," Tobias said.

"Where to?" Helen asked.

"Will think of something," he said.

Helen knew from experience that it meant she would have to think of something, and it was difficult for her to admit, even to herself that she was out of ideas. In her long existence that had never happened before, but this time she was truly at a loss where she should lead them since she felt responsible to take care of the young ones.

"Very well," Helen said, as she started withdrawing from the house.

"Where are you going?" Tobias asked.

"To look for some other options," she answered as she went outside.

It was the truth but it also felt like the lovebirds needed some privacy without her barging in on them. They were so slow at understanding their hearts that Helen found it wasteful. As things were, they could die any day and yet neither one of them seemed to understand the need to enjoy every moment as what it was, precious.

As she ran through the forest, Helen started noticing some strange scents here and there that she couldn't understand. The scent spoke of a vampire, a female, as far as Helen could tell but there was something odd about the scent.

At first, Helen thought that it was just an old scent because they couldn't have been the only vampires who have visited that island but then the huntress in her realized that was not the case. The scent was fresh. The strange thing about it was that it was mixed with human scent and yet there was no blood anywhere in sight.

Most vampires wouldn't converse with humans, even if they didn't just see them as mere sustenance so the fact that a vampire would do that was beyond odd, it was worrying. Her instincts for danger kicked in even harder when she managed to distinguish one set from the mess of scents that permeated the air. It was the guy whose hand she almost broke.

The Great Huntress started running at full vampire speed caring more about Tobias and Cecilia's safety than their privacy.