Chapter 30

"How can a vampire who murdered ten vampires, and one ancient vampire, look so fragile?" Tobias wondered as he scooped up bleeding Cecilia into his arms.

He had to get her out of there before she bled out. If a vampire lost all blood, they could die, perish forever. Without taking any notice of the gore they left behind, Tobias sped out of the warehouse, eager to get Cecilia to his house and help her out as soon as possible.

If he had looked behind, he would have seen a sight more brutal than he had ever seen in his long existence. Besides the pile of burning vampires that was eerie in its own right, there were also huge amounts of blood splattered everywhere. Vampires and humans were so different in many aspects, but they still bled the same.

The sight could have been mistaken for the aftermath of a paint fight if it hadn't been for the fact that the only color present was red and that the texture of the liquid was sticky. It was dripping off the walls, and huge blood puddles could be found sporadically around the warehouse. The scents of death, blood, and decay were unmistakable.

There were also a few body parts that Tobias and Cecilia didn't throw on the pile of burning flesh, a hand here, an eye there... It was the sight that would have made even the cruelest vampires think twice about confronting Cecilia.

When Tobias arrived at his neat and tidy house, carrying Cecilia and leaving a bloody trail behind him, he realized that he was not sure what he should do to help Cecilia recover. So he did the one thing he didn't want to do. He called Helen.

Helen lost his unwavering trust the moment she consciously allowed Cecilia to make the mistake of killing an innocent human, but she was the only one experienced enough to help him out.

After all, she was the one who turned him, the one with whom he shared a special bond, his sire. Also, she took care of him in his moments of utter despair. She was the one who healed him when he tried to end his monstrous existence, that was the reason he knew that a vampire could bleed out. He was close to it once.

Helen sensed through their sire bond that he was close to death on time and saved him. More importantly, she helped him realize that he could be a vampire and still do something good for the world. Being a vampire was something he couldn't control, but he could control what he did if he killed humans or not, and she helped him see that.

The problem with Helen had always been the fact that she had long ago forgotten what it meant to be human. She had emotions, but they were buried deep under the layers of cobble and stone. Simply put, she was a purely rational being who forgot how it felt to look in a mirror and see a monster looking back.

"Helen, it's me. Please come! It's Cecilia. She is dying and I don't know what to do.

I can't even believe that a vampire can bleed this much." He said unable to stop the sobs from interrupting his words.

Nervous and scared, he ran his bloody hands through his hair leaving bloody smudges all over his face, but he was too lost in his fear for Cecilia's life to notice anything else.

"Calm down Tobias! Listen to me carefully! I am two cities away, it will take me some time to get there even with our enhanced speed. What you need to do until I get there, is give her your blood to drink. Let her feed on you since vampire blood can help speed up the healing process. But be careful!

She won't be able to stop. You have to stop her before she kills you!" Helen said.

"Okay, I will, don't worry," Tobias said, relieved that he could do something to help.

Helen could see that he was only mechanically answering, not heeding her warning.

"Tobias, I am seriou..." She started to say, but Tobias already hung up the phone and hurried to the bed.

Cecilia was lying on the bed in the same position he had left her, not moving in the slightest. He could see the teeth marks on her beautiful skin and there was a chunk of flesh missing, marring her perfect skin which made him furious.

He was angry with Stanton for doing that to her, but he was even more furious at himself for allowing that to happen. Although a part of him knew that he did what Cecilia wanted him to do, it didn't make him feel any less guilty.

After what happened to his wife, he promised himself that he would never repeat the same mistake. If he had only listened to her, when she begged him not to go on that trip, none of this would have happened. He wouldn't have become a vampire, and she wouldn't have died a horrible death. For that reason, he agreed to listen to what Cecilia told him to do, no matter how much it hurt him to see her so broken.

As rage started coursing through his body like wildfire, consuming everything in its path, his fangs slid out, and he viciously bit into his wrist. Then, he put his hand next to Cecilia's mouth, hoping that instincts would take over, and she would feed. However, the one time they needed them to do so, the instincts stayed dormant.

Not sure what else to do, he gently opened her mouth letting a few drops of his blood fall on her tongue.

Just as he was about to lose all hope of saving her, her eyes flew open. Ruby red against pale skin was even more striking and Tobias found it beautiful. At the same time, her fangs came out, and she bit into Tobias's hand relishing in the delicious spiciness of his surprisingly warm blood.

Tobias was relieved to see her feeding, so much so, that he didn't even try to stop her when she started taking too much of his blood. The important thing for him was to see her wounds healing and her body getting stronger. She would always have a scar where a piece of her flesh was missing, but she would at least still exist.

A warm smile spread on Tobias's face as the beautiful angel he saved was slowly killing him. He was ready to do whatever it took to save her. If it meant that all of his blood had to run through her veins, he was happy to allow that to happen.

Not even once did he ask her to stop.

He never made a sound, as he was slowly drifting off to somewhere outside of his life, content that this time he did save her, he saved the woman he loved.