Chapter 55

A few months later...

The big city turned out even better than they all expected. There were a lot of opportunities for rich vampires to thrive, and Helen and Seymour were among the richest, as well as the oldest vampires. Thus, it was relatively easy for the four of them to find a place to live.

To Helen's horror, a decision was made, that all four of them would live in the same house for the sake of convenience, and in case they were found by the council since it would be easier for them to defend themselves. They didn't expect that to happen, but after everything they had been through, they had to be cautious.

Helen was surprised how easy it was for them to get the big mansion in the city, close enough to be protected by the scent of humans, but far enough not to be overcrowded.

They pretended to be foreign movie stars, and to their utter surprise, it worked. What was more, they could hide their activities behind the huge wall that surrounded their estate. It was the most perfect place for a couple of vampires.

Still, Helen didn't like the new arrangement. It had too many disadvantages, as far as she was concerned.

The biggest one of them being the fact that she had to live with Seymour. Their relationship had become a bit warmer, and he was nothing but nice. Yet, Helen didn't fully trust him.

After how he had hurt her in the past, she couldn't allow herself to be too trustworthy. That cost her too much in the past, she had to be cautious this time around. Cecilia and Tobias seemed to automatically believe Seymour because he had saved their lives, but Helen wasn't so sure.

Could a vampire change so drastically in a few hundred years that she hadn't seen him? What was he doing with Anja's clan? Most importantly why did he help them?

Having in mind that Cecilia and Tobias had the trusting souls of healers, Helen felt it was her duty to protect them from all the bad things in the world, even if those bad things included Seymour. She felt that they were not yet ready to feel how special and rare they truly were, but she was there to protect them while they learned more about themselves.

It came as a shock to her to realize that she was ready to murder another man that she had loved, that she might have some residual feelings for even now if it meant protecting her family.

After everything that had happened, Helen realized that although they might not always agree with each other, they are still a true family. The type of family which was ready to do everything for each other. However, Seymour wasn't a part of that family yet, Helen wasn't sure he ever would be.

Still, he stayed, and he was given the same respect and consideration as everyone else. Though that was true, he wasn't as fully accepted as Helen, Tobias and Cecilia accepted each other, and that was apparent in small things and gestures that he seemed determined to ignore.

As for Helen, she carefully followed Seymour's actions and behavior for any signs of impending betrayal but found none. She even tried to breach the subject of Seymour with Tobias, but he dismissed her saying she worried too much. The fact was that she had hoped with all her heart that he was right, but that didn't stop her from being vigilant.

The two of them did, however, have a little secret. Sometimes they snuck out of the house together to go on a hunting trip. They didn't kill anyone, but there was a reason that the cases of humans suffering from anemia had increased in the city.

Cecilia and Tobias were inseparable, and as far as Helen and Seymour were concerned, they were much closer than any two vampires they had ever seen. It was at times nauseating for the two older vampires to watch the looks filled with love that the two young ones often shared. They were more similar to teenagers in love than two adult vampires.