Chapter 53

"Listen, Helen, about what happened between us..." Seymour said the moment they were far enough from Cecilia and Tobias.

"Stop! I don't have the strength or the patience to listen to your lousy excuses. There can't possibly be any good reason for making me feel special and loved only to abandon me at the first sign of trouble." Helen said.

"I..." he started to say.

"No! I told you, this will not be discussed. We need to check on Cecilia's family, make the arrangements to leave, and all of that as soon as possible. We have no time to reminisce about the past. What's done is done, let us make sure that we live to see another day." Helen said.

Seeing that there was no way to reason with her, no way to convince her to listen to him, he just nodded his head in agreement. Then, they hurried off to check on the humans, and organize everything since neither Cecilia nor Tobias seemed capable of doing anything.

When they got back to the house, which never even had the chance to serve as their home, Helen was surprised to note that the humans were still fast asleep.

Thinking through their options, she decided not to wake up the whiny humans but to arrange for a boat to take them off the island, or even better, to steal one from the guys they killed. Then she planned to come back for the humans and just pile them up on the boat.

It was odd that they could sleep after everything they had been through, but Helen guessed their frail little bodies couldn't stand a lot of pressure and had to shut down to survive. All the stress must have been driving them crazy, so the mind did what it does best, it protected them by sending them into the land of dreams where everything was nice and safe.

As she exited the house again, Seymour had his back turned to her, and she couldn't help but wonder if he could be trusted. For the first time, she took a good look at him since she was afraid that if she stared for too long he might think there were some residual feelings. She was sure there were none.

It surprised her that he agreed to help them. After all, they didn't part on the best of terms, but then again, it was his fault. He owed her at least this much after he dumped her as if she was worth nothing in pursuit of fresh blood and clinically insane company.

"So, should I even ask how you ended up in Anja's clan?" Helen asked.

She was pretty sure that it was because it was the most ruthless clan besides the one that belonged to Stanton. After all, the last time she had seen Seymour, he was into torture and bloodlust more than anything else.

"I was a member of her clan because she reminded me of you," he answered.

"Oh, please. I am not a poster child for goodness, but that vampire was one of the evilest creatures I have seen. It's insulting you would even dare compare me with her!" Helen said.

"That's not what I meant. I mean, when I joined her clan she was a strong independent vampire who was much smarter than many of the male vampires. Only later did I learn about her relationship with Stanton and their perversions. I had nowhere else to go. No one else wanted me, so I decided to stay.

"Before you found me today, I've already had enough of this lifestyle. This whole revenge business for killing someone as horrible as Stanton wasn't my kind of thing, but you know how it is. Sometimes you get caught up in things without a way out. You should know better than anyone how that feels," he said.

"I found a way out. It was rather easy. All I needed to do was kill the one who was controlling me." Helen said.

"Yes, I guess that's true. Maybe I just needed a push in the right direction by the person I trusted," Seymour said.

"Okay, enough chitchat! Let us steal some of these guys' boats! I think it would be the fastest way out, plus I am hoping they have bigger ones, for smuggling things. These humans smell too delicious to be cramped up with them in a small place. Follow me." Helen said.

Finding an appropriate vessel proved easier than expected, and soon enough Helen was depositing the sleeping members of Cecilia's family in the most comfortable parts of the ship. After all, the vampires didn't require anything but space to feel comfortable.

To Seymour's annoyance, Helen insisted to be the only one to carry the humans to the ship, not trusting him enough not to turn them into a delicious snack. She didn't want to take any risks, since Tobias and Cecilia had already been through enough, and she didn't want anything else to go badly.

When they finally returned to the place where they had left the two vampires, they noted that they were still there and that they were still in each other's embrace. Helen was pretty sure that they were both sobbing, but she decided to pretend not to notice it. Instead, she decided to act normal.

"Ahem, Tobias. We better get going, we are still in danger. The others will soon track us down. Who knows what those wretched humans had been saying and to whom." Helen said.

"And my family?" Cecilia asked.

"They are asleep in the ship, all ready for travel," Helen said.

A small sigh of relief escaped her, although it didn't erase the sad look on her face. It was as if they had enough humanity left in them to feel sorry even for the vampires they murdered, and Helen couldn't understand how that was possible.

It wasn't natural, well it wasn't normal for vampires, but it only confirmed her opinion that they might have never truly been only human.

Helen was determined to figure it out so she jotted it down in her brain for some time in the future when they were not so pressed for time. Besides, she thought Seymour might know something about it since at one point he had studied many different supernatural things that occurred in the world.

"We better go," Tobias said.

His voice was rough and it was noticeable that they had spent most of the time crying in each other's arms. However, having in mind that the safety of Cecilia's family was at stake, they both snapped themselves out of their self-pity and into action.

There would be time for them to feel guilty, time for them to wonder if there had been another way, but first, they had to get themselves and Cecilia's family to safety. It was their prerogative to leave the island as soon as possible because if one vampire could find them there, all could.

In a flash, all of them ran towards the boat and set sail in a matter of seconds. There was, after all, four of them and with vampire speed, everything was much easier.

Cecilia was astonished to note that her family was still asleep, but that was also when she decided to bring them back to their home without waking them up. She didn't want them to see the murderer in her eyes. Instead, she would rather have them believe it was all a terrible nightmare.

Trusting Helen to take care of her family was a bit easier knowing that she had already done all in her power to protect them. Besides, it was better to stay on the boat. After all, the others were looking for her and Tobias, not Helen.

It was painful to watch Helen take the small boat out with her family while Cecilia was saying a silent goodbye to them, but it was necessary. Her question was finally answered. The best thing for them was to not know anything about Cecilia. Anja was crazy, but other vampires would never be so reckless as to go against her family, it would create too much attention and they didn't want that.

Still, although she knew they would be safe, it broke her heart to know that she would never see them again. She was surprised how many times a dead heart could be broken while she continued to exist.

Before long, Helen was back with an all-clear. No other vampires were lurking around the family which was safely tucked into their home. So, it was time for the four vampires to find a safe place for themselves since Seymour insisted on staying and helping them out.