Chapter 16

In the following weeks, Tobias and Cecilia became cautious friends as he shared more of his past with her. Of course, he didn't mention how much Cecilia reminded him of his beloved Celeste and how exactly she died, but other than that he started opening up to her. Telling her about how difficult those first few years of being a vampire truly were and many other things.

It became clear to her that he wanted to protect her from the pain and confusion he went through. She had no idea how much he wanted that or his true reasons for helping her out but she still trusted him. She knew that he wasn't telling her everything, but she knew enough to feel more comfortable about the whole situation.

She even started opening up to him, which was extremely rare for her. Although that was true, Cecilia still had her secrets that she didn't share with him. That was okay because although they had become fast friends, in strange circumstances, it was still a fact that they both understood everyone had their secrets.

Humans, as well as vampires, don't ever tell anyone everything. Maybe with time, it would be possible for vampires while for humans there is never enough time to overcome all the fears and doubts.

But even though they were getting along much better than expected, Cecilia had been feeling trapped and rightly so. They mostly stayed inside the house or on his estate in general, still working on Cecilia's self-control.

She hadn't seen anyone else besides Tobias and Helen for such a long time that she started thinking she was going crazy. She even started forgetting the basic rules of social interactions.

It was okay spending time with the two vampires, but she wanted to go out, to feel the city around her once more. It was never her favorite place but once she was unable to see it, she started missing it dearly.

Being surrounded by humans was a bad idea, sometimes she even lost control surrounded by the two vampires, but she needed some sense of normalcy.

One day as she and Tobias were getting back from a short walk, she decided to bring up the issue.

"You know, I think I am getting better in controlling my thirst. Maybe I am ready to go into the town?" She asked making puppy dog eyes that were so out of character for her that it made Tobias stop in his tracks.

A look that she couldn't quite understand crossed his face, it seemed to be the one of pain and regret which was confusing for Cecilia.

"No, I don't think that is a good idea," he said.

From the tone of his voice, she knew that he firmly believed what he said, and she decided to back down for the time being.

Upon getting back inside the huge house, they were met with a familiar scent of Helen.

As they entered the living room, they saw Helen sitting on the couch, watching TV. For some reason, Cecilia found it incomprehensible that a vampire was sitting in a posh house, watching TV, as any regular person would.

Reconciling the misconceptions she had about the vampires and the true picture of them, was a much bigger challenge for Cecilia than she first anticipated. They acted so much like humans, that from time to time, she would forget what they all were. That was until hunger for blood struck. It was easier to control it but still, it was a painful reminder of the fact that nothing was normal.

Vampires were just very good actors, they had to be. Good or bad, vampires always had to be cautious around humans since their first instinct was always to destroy. Anything they couldn't comprehend or categorize humans would try to erase.

That realization made Cecilia less inclined towards being defined as one of them, but she couldn't identify with vampires either. Her humanity was so recently lost that the adjustment was still very confusing and disorienting.

Shaking her thoughts away, she decided to focus instead on something she wanted and thought Helen would be able to provide, permission, and help to go into the town. She could have gone without it, but she really wanted their help, so she felt she needed them on the same page.

"I was thinking about going into town, seeing the sights and all that. It might help me get used to being around humans. You know, trying to be normal. I appreciate what you are doing for me, but I think I need to be able to be more independent, to deal with the world." Cecilia told Helen as she sat down next to her.

"Sure thing," Helen's said immediately.

She effectively ignored the dirty looks Tobias was giving her. Still, she went on to explain.

"She needs to be able to deal with this on her own, Tobias. It's necessary for her future because we won't always be there to help her out, as much as we want to." Helen stated.

She gave him a knowing look which Cecilia missed consumed as she was by the idea of doing something different from her boring routine.

Ever since the day she became a vampire she had a more or less similar routine. That routine rarely included any fun and unfortunately included a lot of self-loathing that she tried to keep to herself.

Sometimes she slipped up, but she didn't think Tobias knew how much she was struggling with her emotions and who she had become.

Grudgingly, Tobias agreed with the idea of going to town, thinking that he was overprotective and that Helen knew better.

They prepped Cecilia as much as they could and promised to be close by at all times. That made Cecilia feel more confident and ready to face the world.

The drive to the city was silent as everyone prepared in their way for what was to come. But no matter how much she tried to prepare for it, Cecilia soon realized that she wasn't ready at all.

The city was bursting with life, all those warm bodies filled with delicious blood made her mouth water. Her senses were viciously assaulted the moment she stepped out of the car and it took all the strength she had not to ask them to turn around and go back.

No matter how much she felt she needed to do that, she didn't want them to see her as weak. She wanted to prove that she could handle herself, that she wouldn't kill anyone.

However, there were so many confusing things, so many loud sounds, and delicious smells. It was so much more overwhelming to her vampire senses, and she wasn't sure where to turn her attention.

Trying to focus on the other two vampires wasn't helping, and she started realizing why Tobias didn't want to give in to her wish. She most definitely was not ready but, she started slowly walking down the street anyway.

As fate or bad luck, would have it, at that exact moment, a man slipped up on the pavement in the nearby side street and he fell cutting his hand in the process. The scent of fresh blood was something even old vampires had trouble resisting and Cecilia was no exception.

The moment blood was spilled, her head snapped up in that direction and her eyes started turned bright red. Helen and Tobias did try to stop her, but a newborn vampire with the scent of fresh blood in her nose was much more than the two vampires could handle.

She threw Helen to the side with such force that her body left an indentation on the wall she hit, and then Cecilia harshly pushed Tobias away.

In an instant, she was next to the unsuspecting human, her fangs out and ready to feed. The human barely had a chance to register what was happening before she latched her lips onto his neck and bit in.

Drinking delicious liquid was warming her from the inside. She drank with fervor and paid no mind to the screaming human she was slowly killing.

There was no way for her to stop. She didn't want to stop. The thick liquid, human blood, was much better than anything she had ever tasted.

Power buzzed through her veins as her prey was slowly being bled dry. Cecilia delighted in the sensation of sucking the life out of the weak human and into her needy body.