Chapter 4

Even if she had noticed the eyes watching her, she would have thought she was hallucinating since she lived on the seventh floor. No one could watch her, but that didn't stop those blood-red eyes from staring at her.

Perhaps she would have felt the intense stare, had she not been so scared by the combination of the horror movie and the power outage. It was strange to her that there was a power outage at that time since they were uncommon in her area.

What she didn't know, was that the power outage was caused by a supernatural discharge. It was caused by the person to whom those terrifying eyes, watching her, belonged.

He not only fed on the blood but also on the fear of his victims. The reason he caused the power outage was to see how much he could frighten her without actually showing up.

For him, it was like smelling the meal, enjoying its flavor, before eating it. He loved the smell of fear, it made everything so much better for him.

As for Cecilia, after searching for the candles for far longer than expected, she was finally able to light them up and spend a quiet night surrounded by candlelight. She even managed to laugh at herself for her irrational fear of the dark. There was nothing out there, was there?

A few more days had passed, and she kept having similar nightmares that seemed so real that she wasn't sure what to think since she started to remember gruesome fragments of her dreams.

In the dreams, she could smell the metallic scent of her blood. She could feel the warmth of blood trickling down her neck. The feeling of two sharp teeth violently piercing her skin was too real for comfort.

Since she started remembering her nightmares more and more, she started getting jumpy and easily startled.

"I have seen too many horror movies, that's all. Besides, I am not even afraid of vampires, I am fascinated by them. Their immortality, strength, beauty...Hm, beauty...Did I see someone incredibly handsome recently? Maybe that's causing my weird dream." She tried to calm herself down, unsuccessfully.

One night, as she was walking to the store, she met the same police officer as before.

"Oh, it's you again," he said in a friendly tone.

There was a slight undertone to his voice, that tired as she was from non-sleeping, Cecilia didn't notice.

"Would you mind walking with me to the park? I have a few more questions for you," he said, politely.

She couldn't speak, since she knew her voice would tremble and reveal how scared she was, so she just nodded her head. Her rational mind was telling her to walk away, but there was some part of her that knew she had to do it. It didn't feel like she could do anything else, he was, after all, a police officer.

Although she had no idea what he wanted from her, she followed him blindly to the park.

It was a huge park, usually crowded with people, but at night it was mostly empty. The whole park was well lit, illuminated by many street lights.

Once they were in the middle of the park, the police officer abruptly stopped. She waited nervously to hear his inquiries.

Instead of asking her anything, he was behind her in a flash. One moment he was in front of her leading the way, the next he was behind her making a chill-raising hissing noise that didn't sound human.

At the same time, all the lights in the park went out, and they were left in pitch-black darkness. That is when she started screaming.

She screamed and screamed until her throat became so rough that she could barely make terrified gasps. Strangely enough, her screams didn't seem to disturb the police officer, as she knew him, or Stanton as his vampire clan knew him.

For the truth was, that unbeknownst to Cecilia, he was a vampire. He was the most ruthless vampire in her area. Her cries gave him such immense pleasure that he was displeased when they stopped.

When she finally stopped screaming, he growled loudly and his razor-sharp teeth came out in an instant. Grabbing her firmly, he exposed her neck and bit into it savagely.

She tried to stop him, but she wasn't strong enough. He thought it so ridiculous that she even tried. Humans were so fragile and weak, in his mind, mere sustenance. They were the cattle to be herded and devoured. Well, he also thought they could give him the satisfaction he needed, enough fear to feed his sick needs for a while.

"Hm, this one has such a delicious flavor. Fear in its purest form mixed with the attempt at braver. How pathetic! The most ironic thing ever is that she was fascinated by my kind, I guess she isn't anymore, hahaha. She even thought it would be 'cool' to be one of us. How ridiculous, she thought that she was worthy!" he thought to himself, as he greedily sucked her blood.

Usually, vampires bit humans in only one place and drank until their thirst was satiated. Vampires could get their sustenance and keep the human alive, by sealing the wound with their saliva but Stanton...he was... different.

He knew that it was much more painful and terrifying for humans if they were bitten more than once and in many places. After biting her neck, he bit her wrists, then, finally, he laid her on the ground and bit into her legs and other parts of her body.

He decided that it would be his last supper, his last Cecilia supper. He was tired of taking small sips to last him longer so, that night, he decided to take it all.

It was time for him to bleed her dry and leave her dead body behind, without any remorse or second thought.