Chapter 25

After Tobias left, Cecilia got ready for work, but her self-confidence was wavering. She valued Tobias's opinion and couldn't help but wonder if she was doing the right thing.

The hesitation lasted only for a few moments because she concluded that her life and even Tobias's life were nothing in the great scheme of things, she would be saving hundreds of lives. That was worth the risk.

In the past, she would have thought that to say she was saving hundreds would be an exaggeration. However, upon meeting Stanton's clan and hearing some of their 'war stories', she realized that they had a voracious appetite and complete lack of respect for human life so the number could be even higher.

Upon dressing up in a formal, yet not as seductive manner, she went to work hoping that her modest clothing would be a deterrent to Stanton's unwanted advances.

The moment she arrived at the office, she was immediately called into an obligatory staff meeting.

It sounded like a normal thing. Other companies had those kinds of meetings all the time, so she thought that for the first time since she arrived, she was well-prepared for what lay ahead. She couldn't have been more wrong.

Once she entered the conference room, she realized that the conference room was not the right name for it. Slaughterhouse would have been a much more suitable name. The room reeked of blood and fear. It was too much for her enhanced senses to bear.

Humans in the room were screaming for help, while they were being viciously fed on, but to no avail. The room was soundproof, and their screams of agony were only echoed by the bloodied walls. There was blood everywhere. Some of it spurting out like a horrible mockery of a fountain. A fountain of blood.

"That is horrible. But the smell.... mmm ... it's so fresh. It must be so delicious. Blood and fear are so concentrated. So much more potent than anything I had ever felt before. The taste must be wonderful." Cecilia thought.

"What am I thinking! No! I. Will. Not. Drink. Human. Blood. Not again. Never again. But I can't help them either. There are too many vampires here," she thought.

She made a silent promise to the poor humans being robbed of life, that she would avenge them. That was the moment Cecilia decided to speed up her plans and exact her revenge as soon as possible.

As Cecilia stood there shocked by the gory scene unfolding in front of her very eyes, a loud ear-splitting scream pierced the air.

Cecilia's eyes immediately darted towards the source of the sound. It was a small brunette who seemed so weak and fragile to have such a strong scream.

However, once Cecilia noticed the reason for her cry of agony, she could understand the poor girl's sentiments completely. It broke her dead heart that there was nothing she could do to help her.

It was Stanton.

He was the one savagely feeding on the innocent girl who was already broken by the brutality of his attack. There were other, more humane ways to feed on someone, but that just wasn't Stanton's style.

He wanted his victims to feel every torturous inch of his teeth penetrating their skin. It gave him a pleasure to hear them scream, it fed his ego.

To him, the little human was a perfect meal, feisty and scared at the same time, a perfect mixture of flavors. When he was about to drain the humans, he would stop feeding on their necks and start feeding on other parts of their bodies so that he could at the same time watch as their spark of life got extinguished.

Even the worst horror movies Cecilia had seen while alive couldn't prepare her for what her eyes saw in that torture chamber.

Finishing off his victim, Stanton threw her over the table to the pile of dead humans that Cecilia was only then able to see. His eyes gleaming with energy and destruction finally noticed her, and he smiled widely beckoning her forwards.

Barely avoiding the dead bodies, she approached Stanton as much as she dared.

It was difficult to look at his creepy smile, his pearly white teeth stained with the blood of innocent, one lone drop of blood dripping from the corner of his mouth.

When he licked the stray blood drop with obvious delight, Cecilia could barely contain the scream of frustration, pain, and anger that was slowly building up in her chest.

"Join us for a delicious meal. Fresh and healthy, just picked up from the countryside. They have a special earthy flavor that you simply have to try." Stanton told Cecilia with such enthusiasm that she didn't know how to say no.

"I am sure it is delicious, but I had a hearty meal before I came to work." She said unsure of what the right way was to refuse your psychotic vampire boss.

"Oh, come on! There is always room for a liter or two more!" Stanton insisted.

In the moment of desperation, Cecilia said: "To be honest, this is my favorite outfit and the bloodstains are so difficult to wash off, don't you think?"

"Suit yourself." He said as he went onto another terrified human although she could see that his hunger was fully satiated.

He was gorging himself on the blood for no other reason but the pleasure of the kill.

Not wanting to spend another second in that nightmarish room, and fearing that she might be tempted to murder humans she swore to protect, she decided to exit the room.

It wasn't the smartest move, but she thought they wouldn't notice her absence as absorbed as they were by the feeding frenzy.

Once she exited the room, she took a few unnecessary breaths of fresh air just for the soothing familiarity of the movement.

Instead of running away home and hiding in the depths of her basement from the terrible things she had witnessed, she went back to her desk and busied her mind with mundane work.

When Stanton returned, he was wearing a new shirt and seemed like a regular guy, just a bit paler than the others.

The rest of Cecilia's day wasn't much better, but at least there was no murder and mayhem on the agenda. She did a fantastic job that day, and she knew it, but Stanton never showed any inclination to praise her work. On the contrary, he was very cold and reserved. He gave her no praises. The only thing he did give her was lustful glances.

Her body seemed to be the only thing that held any interest to him, and she was appalled by that fact. Although she needed his unwavering trust, to get the chance to make him pay for all that he did and planned to do in the future, using her body to reach that goal was a line she wasn't ready to cross.

His behavior was strikingly different from the previous day, and she wasn't sure if her plan had already failed, or if he was just in a foul mood. If her plan had failed, she would have probably already been dead, so she thought that his behavior had nothing to do with her.

Time seemed to drag on as she only wished to be in the warm embrace of her home.

One hour before she would finally be free, she was having a conversation with a client when she noticed a looming presence behind her. From the horrible feeling that overloaded all her senses, she knew it was Stanton.

He was listening in on her conversations, but luckily for her, the conversation was with a client and not a personal one.

That one hour was the longest in Cecilia's entire existence. Probably because she could often feel Stanton peaking over her shoulder and his mere closeness bothered her immensely.

More than once, she wished she could just snap his neck, and turn his head in the other direction. Never in her whole life, did she think that something would give her as much pleasure as she murdering Stanton would.

Finally, the time came for her to go home, and before Stanton had the chance to stop her with his creepy advances, she bolted for the door eager to leave the monsters behind.

What she didn't know was that Stanton decided to follow her home. That way, he learned some things about her that he found most interesting.