Chapter 21

Since Cecilia came to the job interview, she expected that Stanton would ask her some regular interview questions that she was used to.

Soon enough, she learned that vampires didn't play by those rules, why would they? They were the most powerful beings on the Earth, so they didn't have to follow silly human templates that made them feel more comfortable about themselves and the world around them.

In a way, it was liberating, even for Cecilia, to be a vampire. There were a few rules that they had to follow, and they didn't have to worry about the petty mortal problems. No one in the vampire society seemed to be interested in nosing around someone else's existence which was always the case with humans.

While Cecilia was human, she always had a schedule to keep, and people interfering in her life. People were asking her what she did, what she would do, and advising her what would be the best thing to do.

The good side of being a vampire was that the whole society and its rules were completely different, the bad side was that many of them were cold-blooded murderers. Also, they lived by a small set of rules that Cecilia wasn't entirely familiar with. That was why some questions Stanton asked her took her by surprise.

"So how long have you been a vampire?" He asked.

That was not the question she expected because she thought they would at least try to act like a regular company.

"Ahm, not long, a few months maybe." She said, trying to be as honest as she could so that he wouldn't pick up on any irregularity in her behavior with his enhanced vampire sense.

"Oh, a young one, nice. I am sure there are a lot of things that I can teach you." He said winking seductively at her.

It was a challenge for her to control her disgust, but she managed to do it anyway.

"I am sure you could. It has been difficult for me, all alone, craving for blood, and having no one to turn to." She said trying to sound as flirty as she possibly could.

"What do you think about feeding off humans, killing them for food?" He asked.

It was yet another question she wasn't prepared for, but she did her best to answer as quickly as possible because hesitation was a sign of weakness.

"Honestly, that is the best part of being a vampire. The excitement of hunting them down and slowly lapping up their blood. The warm delicious blood sliding down my throat flavored with their fear and agony, the best feeling ever. I don't think there is anything as good as that." She said, as her eyes clouded with thirst.

When she started answering that particular question, she was acting, but by the time she finished, she got carried away and suddenly there was nothing she wanted more in the world than to drain someone of all their blood and enjoy its wonderful taste. She didn't care who it was, she only knew that she NEEDED the blood.

It felt like she had to savagely murder someone as soon as possible and not only for food, just for the pleasure of killing. To have that kind of power, to snuff someone's light of life out, was the feeling that she adored. It made her feel like a god and nothing gave her more pleasure than to imagine someone's eyes slowly dying out like candlelight.

"Have you ever killed a human?" Stanton's voice broke through her hazy mind.

Surprisingly enough, his question helped her out. Suddenly she was back to her old self upon remembering what she had done and what she had promised herself never to do again.

"Yes, I have. I usually mesmerize them and lead them to a dark, abandoned alley. They all come. Who would refuse a beautiful woman?" She said laughing in what she hoped was an evil laugh.

"Once we are there I bite into their necks and enjoy their futile struggles. Some of them beg for their lives, but I pay no attention to that, food is food and nothing else. Once I am finished feasting on their blood, they are usually already dead but I also break their necks. Just for the simple pleasure of hearing their bones snap." She said trying to sound as heartless and as remorseless as she possibly could.

Stanton's booming laughter echoed through the office at her words.

"I like you. You seem to enjoy slaughtering humans as much as I do." He said.

"There is only one more thing I want to ask you." He said as he approached a cupboard near his desk.

"What do you think of my collection?" He said as he brought out a gruesome collection of human eyeballs, hearts, and other body parts preserved in a foul-smelling liquid.

Cecilia was at first repulsed, but at one point she felt ashamed of herself because she thought for a moment how pleasant it would be to suck the blood out of the actual human heart. With no time to lose, she answered what was expected of her.

"I think it is the most impressive and well-preserved collection that I had ever seen." She said.

There was a smug smile on his face when she said that and luckily for her, he put his sick collection back in the cupboard before she had the chance to lose her wits.

"Good answer. You are hired!" He said.

"Don't you need to know if I can work as a secretary?" She couldn't help but ask.

"Not really, I have all the information I need. You start tomorrow." He said.

"Very well, thank you for this opportunity." She said.

She wasn't sure what to say as she started getting up, planning to leave as soon as possible. However, she couldn't avoid Stanton grabbing her hand and kissing.

"I have a feeling that we will get along VERY WELL." He said.

After saying that he let her go, and she hurried home to wash off the filth of his touch.