Chapter 42

Tobias was determined to avoid the potential bloodshed. Because of so many vampires present, it could turn into a slaughter of humans who had no idea what awaited them in the small abandoned house.

He guessed that it was just in human nature to try to defend their territory, attack before you are attacked tactic was not an uncommon policy in many human societies. That was especially true for the ones that were on the brink of civilization like the island they were on.

It didn't seem like they had many visitors because most of the regular humans were chilled to the bone by the energy emitted by the island. The ones that were there were either supernatural fanatics or violent psychopaths whose brains were unable to register anything odd about the island.

No matter the case, it was only logical that they wouldn't take kindly to newcomers because of the possibility of them encroaching on their territory, on their way of life.

That was why Tobias showed Cecilia to follow his lead as they slowly exited the house trying to look as non-threatening as two vampires could.

Tobias used a very slow and careful gait to exit the house and Cecilia tried to copy him since he was older and probably had more experience with those kinds of situations. She couldn't help but notice that when they stopped, he positioned himself between her and the humans, and she wasn't sure who he was trying to protect.

The truth was that Cecilia was barely holding herself back. There was so much delicious fresh blood all around. She could hear their hearts pumping up blood, she could feel the call of blood circulating through their bodies.

Her canines came out in a matter of seconds as her tongue started slowly licking her lips in anticipation of the life-giving elixir that was fresh human blood.

The only thing stopping her from pouncing on the humans then and there was Tobias. His attitude, his strength, his belief that he was doing the right thing and most of all his uncanny ability to control his urges, his instincts were all an inspiration to her.

She didn't want to disappoint him, or herself by letting her need guide her. It was possible to control oneself and Tobias was proof of that.

To stop herself from doing anything stupid, she stopped breathing altogether so that she could stop being tempted by the delicious aroma that exuded from the humans. However, she could still feel the warmth of their bodies and hear the thumping of their hearts.

Yet, after everything she had done, she felt a desperate need to finally do the right thing. So instead of attacking, she locked her body in that position and waited for Tobias' instructions.

Before Tobias had the chance to say anything, a burly young man ran towards them with a spear-like weapon. Tobias had enough time to show her to stay back as he gracefully avoided the attack.

Although she wanted to protect Tobias, Cecilia stayed frozen in place since she could sense that he had a plan that didn't involve killing which was the only thing keeping her from tearing the head off the human who dared to attack Tobias.

It was no longer about the need to feed, it was about protecting Tobias and Cecilia was surprised to note that it was even more difficult to control that need than the thirst which she was pretty sure wasn't supposed to be the case.

"We mean you no harm," Tobias yelled out as the man returned to attack him again.

Changing tactics, Tobias decided to let the man's spear graze his arm and then showing no signs of pain he took the makeshift spear. He broke it in half, throwing pieces of it towards the angry crowd. That was when the humans finally started realizing that something wasn't as it should be, that there was something odd to the newcomers, something predatory.

Having lived on the island for such a long time, they got used to that crawling sensation of supernatural they would often get, but after what Tobias did they finally allowed themselves to feel that the sensation was twice as strong as usual which they were sure wasn't a good sign.

The humans' expression started changing as they slowly retreated. They realized that their new neighbors might be a bit more powerful than they anticipated and having survived on the strange island for so long, they knew when to retreat. That territory wasn't worth dying for.

They had come to scare off the intruders but ended up being the ones scared off.

As they were backing away, they didn't notice a lurking shadow behind them until she grabbed one of them in a firm grip pulling his hands behind his back harshly, almost to the point of breaking.

"Now you will walk away and never return here or I can promise you that what will wait for you here is a slow and painful death," Helen said through a low threatening growl.

"Is that understood?" she asked since none of the humans said anything.

The guy whose arm she was almost breaking nodded his head vigorously, and once she let him go they all ran away much faster than Helen ever saw humans running. Fear once again turned out to be a good motivational tool.

"That wasn't necessary," Tobias said.

He seemed extremely angered with Helen's behavior, and she couldn't understand why since she hadn't murdered anyone as she would have in the past.

"Yes, it was. Fear is the perfect deterrent. This way, we are sure never to see them again." Helen said.

Shaking his head in disagreement, Tobias didn't say anything, he just walked back inside the house with Cecilia close on his heels. She could feel that Tobias would need her company to cool down, but she didn't plan on telling him that, for once, she agreed with Helen.

Although she had existed for such a long time and praised herself in being able to understand the behavior patterns of both the predator and prey, Helen could never fully understand Tobias and his behavior. She thought he would appreciate that she didn't kill anyone, that she didn't attack immediately.

What the ignorant humans didn't know was that since the moment they reached the barely standing house, they were surrounded. Helen didn't get far before she heard their loud approach, and she smelt the humanity that clung to them like tight pieces of clothing that humans oftentimes wore.

Instead of slaughtering them then and there she decided to follow closely behind them so that they would have them cornered, ready for slaughter if needed.

Although she had a feeling that Tobias would do anything in his power to avoid it, she was still prepared for every possibility.

Hunter in her wanted to attack first and ask questions later, but she knew that Tobias wouldn't want that, and she didn't want him to get angry with her, he had a lot to deal as it was. Although she did all of that for his and Cecilia's sake, he got angry that she hurt the human and that was something that her predatory mind couldn't comprehend.

Instead of going into the house to figure out what was it that he thought she did wrong, Helen decided to give Tobias and Cecilia some alone time. She was sure that the girl could calm him down since she had such a strong resemblance to his long-lost wife.

Helen, on her part, decided to go and check the blood supply of the island because from what she saw she was unsure if they would be well provided for without killing anyone.

She didn't mind the killing. After all, it was survival of the fittest, but she didn't want to face Tobias' disapproval since over the years he became, in a way, her conscious.