Chapter 11

Only then did she realize what had happened. She could feel something soft and fluffy in her hands. As she looked down, she saw what was once a beautiful white rabbit, covered in fresh bright red blood.

It was clear that the rabbit was dead since she could no longer hear its heartbeat or feel the warmth that the fragile body used to contain. Disgusted with what she had done, she dropped the rabbit's carcass to the ground and started screaming and sobbing, at the same time.

Cecilia never thought vampires could feel regret but at that moment she was overwhelmed with it an immense self-loathing like never before.

She didn't even realize Tobias was there beside her until he tried to wipe away the bloody tears that were trickling down her face. When he tried to do that, she jerked away from his touch and kept shedding bloody tears.

He felt so guilty about not stopping her in time, but he was so shocked by her actions, that he hesitated for a second. That was all it took for the young vampire to go and do something she regretted.

A trail of blood marred her beautiful face as she tried to calm down, unsuccessfully. Her eyes would occasionally glance towards the white lump covered in blood and it would make everything so much worse.

For some reason, Tobias had a feeling she wasn't only crying about the innocent life she had taken, but also about what she had become.

Tobias knew he had to get her away from the rabbit whose life she had extinguished, so he tried hugging her, and pulling her away from the poor creature, towards the house.

Upon feeling his touch, she shied away from him but finally settled enough to allow him to take her back to the house. Her shoulders were still trembling, but at least the tears had run dry. Once she managed to calm down, far away from the scent of her kill, she was finally able to form coherent sentences.

"I hate crying, I didn't even know vampires COULD cry. I especially detest doing it in front of someone. It's just..." her voice broke.

She cleared her throat and continued.

"Rabbits were always my favorite animals, and I killed that cute, innocent, creature without the slightest hesitation. It feels somehow worse since I couldn't control myself; I hadn't even registered what I had done until I drained all life out of it.

For crying out loud, I was a vegetarian before all of this happened and now, I am drinking human blood from a bag, and killing creatures I swore to protect.

I used to be squeamish about dealing with meat, especially with blood and now I crave it. It's so difficult to reconcile my past with my present because I feel like I am at the same time the same person I always was and completely different.

My thoughts and values are similar. But at the same time, I am something I don't recognize, a bloodthirsty thing, that could kill without even realizing it, on an instinct." She said.

Tobias didn't say anything. There was nothing he could say to make her feel better which made him feel useless.

They kept walking slowly, and she realized that she must have gone further away from the house than she thought. The slow walk helped her clear her head and be back to her old self, whatever that might be.

Guilt was still there, but she could move past it. She was shocked that she still had all the same emotions only amplified. She expected that she would be cold and emotionless, some part of her was sad that she was wrong about that.

If it were true, she wouldn't have been ripped apart for what she had done, since for her, killing an animal was for some reason far worse than killing a human.

As she contemplated her situation, they started approaching a magnificent gate, and she realized they had taken a different route back, she had never seen that part of his place before.

The front gate was huge and parts of it looked like the spider web, on the top part of the gate, there were small gargoyle figures that were guarding the gate. Even sad as she was, she could appreciate its beauty since she always had an avid interest in Gothic architecture.

Becoming a vampire didn't change that. The house itself was huge, with a deck surrounding it, but it also held a certain Gothic appeal she loved. It was strange to her how her vampire brain could at the same time handle terrible grief for the life she took, admire the beauty of the house, and think of the reasons Tobias might have for helping her out.

As they approached the front door, she couldn't help but wonder what should be her next step. She couldn't afford to be as reckless as she was and take one more innocent life. She had to find a way to deal with her bloodthirst as quickly as possible.