Chapter 9

Her teeth suddenly came out and, in her anger, she started breaking things around her. She broke the chair smashing it against the mirror. The loud crash echoed through the room snapping her back from her rage-induced daze.

A few seconds after that, a blur appeared at the door. That blur turned out to be Tobias who thought that something had happened to her. He felt stupid for rushing in since she was a vampire, and she could take care of herself. But there was something about her that drew him.

For the first time in his long vampiric existence, he felt an overwhelming need to protect someone. It was irrational how strong that feeling was when it came to Cecilia. He wanted to spare her any emotional pain as well but knew he was powerless in front of the emotional challenges she faced.

The only time he ever felt like that was hundreds of years before. In his human life, he felt that emotion and never thought he would feel it again. Especially not as a vampire because he thought it impossible.

"But it can't be the same emotion," he thought to himself.

"It is just that I want to help her in a way that I couldn't help my darling Celeste. Oh, how I wish I could have stopped them. I have to stop thinking about that, the past is in the past." He chastised himself and shifted his focus on Cecilia.

"Are you okay?" He asked, trying not to sound too concerned.

Still, she could feel that he was worried about her. His concern made no sense to her, he was supposed to be the monster. She kept wondering when he would show his dark side. Looking at him then, trying to hide how worried he was, she couldn't see him as the monster he was supposed to be.

"Sorry about the furniture. The emotions overtook me, I couldn't control myself," she said apologetically.

Then she blurted out what she didn't mean to say.

" Why are you helping me? What do you want from me?" She asked.

He was honestly hurt by her words, but he couldn't blame her. Her first experience with vampires was a horrific one, but still...He felt as if she had slapped him.

"You remind me of someone I used to know," he replied hesitantly.

She didn't pry anymore since she could feel it was a sore subject.

"You can still lead a fairly normal life, you know." He told her.

"How?! I am a despicable thing; I drink human blood! I LIKE drinking human blood! It makes me feel alive in ways I can't explain. It's like it warms every part of my body, and helps me feel the immense life energy and I want more. Seems to me that blood to vampires is like a drug, a pleasure that can't be curbed. Even while drinking the bagged blood, I thought how fun and delicious it would be to drink from a live human. To suck the life out of them, and watch them slowly perish so that I could live and I love that feeling. Loving the excitement and power that it gives me, to control who lives and who dies that's how I know that I am a monster!" she answered not being able to control her emotions.

Then she continued more calmly.

"The funny thing is, I used to adore everything supernatural, especially vampires. I even used to wish that one day I could meet one of them face to face. Well, I guess I should be careful what I wish for. Because now that I met a vampire, I wish I had never had that opportunity.

I used to have this strange tendency to side and empathize with the dark creatures with evil tendencies. How wrong can a person be? So shallow was I, that I used to be fascinated by the graceful way the vampires moved. I knew it was morbid, but I couldn't stop myself from believing in the dark supernatural beings and admiring them. Look at me now!" she said laughing bitterly, with no amusement in her voice.

Tobias had no idea how to comfort her, it was all so new to him that he didn't know what to do.