56- Breaking the Ritual

SPIKE'S POV (long chapter, 2k + words)

Buffy was in the dining room finishing up a bunch of overdue papers for work, the doctors had been complaining that Buffy was taking too much time off and she was the only one who could help with the papers since most were her patients. She was furiously scribbling down words sending papers to fly around everywhere.

'Slow down love, plenty of time' I called out to her from the kitchen.

The restaurant had sent me over a bunch of recipes that needed to be reviewed and altered, I felt slightly relieved to be cooking and not stressing over Jessica and Angelus. The restaurant was more than slightly annoyed with all the time I had taken off, but I knew the second head chef would be more than happy to be taking my place. Just as I was highlighting some important notes on a recipe the phone rang, without really thinking who it might be I picked it up, 'hello'

'Oh, hey Spike, it's Willow. Was wandering if you guys wanted to go to the Bronze tonight, like the good old times' she asked

'Yeah, sure, if Buffy gets all her paper work done, which I'm sure she will. See you tonight' I replied hanging up

'Who was it?' Buffy called out not looking up from her work

'Willow' I called back 'Bronze tonight'

'Okay!'

I finished correcting some recipes and made Buffy dinner, she was nearly asleep on the dining table but she'd finished her work.

'Here, love' I said putting the plate down and moving her paper work

'Thanks Spike' she smiled 'what would I do without you?'

'You better eat and go get ready' I told her slightly ignoring what she had just said.

'You ready Buffy?' I called upstairs

'Yeah' she replied running down the stairs in a pair of jeans, boots and nice top.

'You look great' I smiled

'So do you' she smirked

'You want to walk?' I asked

'Sure' she said grabbing my hand and the house keys from the table, she locked the door and we headed to the Bronze. It was just dark enough for me to be outside but also not too dark so we could still see, I sometimes just pretend that it is light and that Buffy and I are out in the sun together.

When we finally arrived Giles, Willow, Tara and Xander were out the front looking worried, 'Buffy, thank god you're finally here' Willow said coming up to us

'Will what's wrong?' she asked

'Angelus is inside the Bronze, it looks like a ritual, these people are like in a trance, going up one by one to be bitten and I think he's turning them all. Buffy what do we do?' she replied

'I only have one stake on me' Buffy told everyone 'Spike?' she asked me

'I only have one as well love' I frowned 'someone will have to go back'

'I mean it's just him' Buffy thought out loud 'the main thing is we get all those people out'

'Buffy most of those people look dead already, they'll be rising later tonight or tomorrow' Giles informed everyone

'He's right' I told Buffy 'all those people right now are as good as vampires, we can't save them'

'We can still save some!' Buffy shouted 'more people are pilling in from the other side, we can save them'