The Break Up (Todoroki Shouto)

Todoroki Shouto:

You both had been feeling out of it for a while. Things were... they were just not working out like they should be. You fought, ignored each other's texts and calls and had not spent anytime together for months.

It was plainly obvious to everyone around you that either of you were very happy in your relationship, but it had finally come time that even the two of you realized it now. And while you both had at first hoped that it was just a small bump in the road, it was quickly turning into the realization that the road was damaged beyond repair.

So that's why you had approached him after school before he could leave, asking if he would hang around for a few extra minutes to talk with you about 'some things'. He had a feeling what it was, and knew that it must be time for you both to rip the band aid off.

He still liked you... God did he like you. It was that smile and little shrug that made him fall for you in the first place. But he knew you both were far too different and were looking for different things in partners.

He wanted someone who was a bit softer spoken and not as impulsive as you could be. He didn't mind the trait in a friend, but dating someone like that put a lot of strain on his mind. And it was all too much now.

Meanwhile you had hoped Shouto would open up and become more affectionate as the relationship latest. But it didn't... he was still wary of touching and kisses. You wanted someone who you could shower in yoru live at anytime and they would not care. Shouto was not that kind of person.

And so, it had led to this.

You glanced one last time around the classroom, letting out a sigh of anguish. Todoroki remained silent. You had asked him, so you were to be the one to say it. He would not take this from you.

"We've been fighting an awful lot... and I've been doing a lot of thinking as a result." You began, awkwardly shuffling your feet and avoiding eye contact as you spoke.

"I have been as well.. Thinking that is." He answered you back, his body language very similar to your own.

"I think it would be best for not only us... but all those around us if we went separate ways Shouto-kun. We're much too different and as much as we tried... it's not working out."

Todoroki nodded, feeling the weight of that statement finally being said in the open. This was happening, you were breaking up with him. He was breaking up with you.

"I understand. I've been feeling the same way as of late. You're still very dear to me, (Name)... but I don't want to be the one to make you so upset anymore."

You nodded pulling him into one final hug, gently kissing his cheek as you did so. A tear drop fell from your eye and absorbed into his uniform's fabric. Todoroki sighed, wrapping a single arm around you as he held you.

"Thank you for everything up until now." He whispered to you.

You were the first girl since he started learning to accept himself, the one he had held back from trying to get to know because of his self hatred. But you had taken him into your heart nonetheless.

But now he was moving out, as you had no more room left for him.

"You're welcome. Thanks for trying to get used to me." You mumbled back.

He pushed away, nodding once more. He smiled one final time at you, letting you know he didn't hold any hostilities towards you. You both were just different people, and you could not help that you grew apart.

At least this way it was mutual.

At least this way you both could cry knowing the other would be alright once the initial pain passed.