Chapter 3: Dark Brown Eyes

Hey everyone! Who's loving this book so far? I know it's a little early to tell, but I promise it'll get better haha.

Anywhore, let's get on with the chapter!

------------------------------

Athena

Artemis and I have been running for who knows how long. I know for a fact it's been at least several hours.

We have relied on hunting to get our food when we got hungry, mostly squirrel and small birds. I also found a raspberry bush not far from the trail that I was on. It was an elderly lady's garden. I was walking by and she stopped me to chat. But of course, with my pack close on my trail, I told her that I couldn't stay because I needed to get back home. A small lie that I felt bad for telling, but I didn't want her to get caught in the middle of this. Luckily though she understood and she offered to give me a container of some freshly picked raspberries.

'Some actual food would be nice.' I thought to myself as I plucked the feathers off the small pigeon.

'This is actual food, you dork.' Artemis laughed.

I rolled my eyes at her but cracked a small smile. 'I'm talking about some steak and mashed potatoes.'

'I see your point. But if you look around right now, you would see that we aren't in a fancy five-star restaurant.'

'No need for that sass.' I laughed as the fire crackled. 'I'm just saying. It would be nice to eat like for once.'

'Okay, I'm sorry. I promise I'll stop.'

'Thank you.' I sighed in relief.

'For now.' Artemis added sweetly.

I knew it was too good to be true.

'But come on girl. It's getting late, we should head in for the night.' Artemis mentioned as I looked up at the sky.

The sky was starting to turn dark as the sun set over the horizon. The breeze was a little on the chilly side, so I scooted closer to the fire.

Is it just me or is spending the night deep in the forest by yourself kind of creepy.

"Okay Athena, just breathe. You are a werewolf. A very ferocious creature of the night. You can do this, I believe in you." I whispered to myself as I looked around my surroundings.

All of the sudden there was a rustle in the bush next to me and I let out an ear piercing scream as whatever was inside of it jumped out.

A little squirrel just stood there and stared back at me before running off.

'Yeah. Ferocious creature of the night my ass.' Artemis scoffed.

'I hate you.' I growled. 'I really do.'

'Quit lying to yourself.'

'Just go to bed you very ferocious creature of the night.'

I growled to her as she just laughed.

After fixing my small blanket on the ground, I finally laid down and closed my eyes listening to the crackle of the fire.

Right as I was about to fall asleep, I heard a twig snap in the distance.

'Athena?' Artemis asked.

'I heard it.' I said as I sat up on high alert. 'It sounded close, but a little ways away.'

'Maybe we should find a new spot.' Artemis asked as I threw dirt on the fire.

Once I made sure it was finally out, I started to slowly pack my belongings back into my bag trying to be as quiet as possible.