XXXI. Chain user and a Spider

"How... how do I know the Zoldycks?" I stuttered, surprised. For some seconds, I thought he knew that I hung out with the Spiders. Well, this was more relaxing, all I had to do was to not fuck up everything. He wanted revenge on the Spiders for all I knew, so I should play it safe and not connect anything.

"They... uh... it's kind of a long story..." I shyly muttered as my eyes ran away from the dark scarlet ones, how bright did they have to be to show over the contacts? How could I explain it without lying or including the Spiders? I took some time to wonder and choose my words. "You see... I am a very good writer, and all was fine 'till I crossed paths with one of them, Illumi, he kind of spared my life so now I am bound to help him out occasionally."

"He spared your life?" The distrust in Kurapika's voice was rising. No wonder... Why would Illumi spare someone's life?

"I wasn't his target. I just happened to see him and his victim." I laughed dryly, as the young Kurta's face shifted to pity mode. Well, maybe I was pitiable, an innocent bystander, who was always in danger and got tied up in all of this because I walked into the wrong place at the wrong time. His next questions were asked with a gentler tone and I didn't feel threatened anymore. Not that he'd threaten me, most of the restrictions on his power only worked if he was fighting the spiders.

"You met Illumi, how do you know the old ones?" The blonde boy quietly sat on the edge of his bed, waiting patiently for an answer. Now that I had some time to recover, my mind was sharper, I could escape if I wanted to.

"Well... Illumi once took me to his manor and I met them there ... His mom is a big fan of me..." I looked around the room, there was a jar with two scarlet eyes floating in some random liquid, on the small table by the left corner of the room. Was he getting them back? Well, that made sense... Murdering and creating a cycle of violence didn't quite show that the wound had been healed. It was not like the Troupe would end just because some of them were murdered. Would it?

"Have you met all of them?" After the white-haired kid, all I had left was the nerd who locked himself in his room that day...

"Nope... Missing some of the kids. Not like I want to meet them all, honestly, I just want some peace, quiet and for the mother to stop forcing marriages between me and her kids." I sighed as I shifted in the bed, drawing closer to the edge.

My brain was running miles to figure a plan out but there was a hurried knock on the door followed by a melodic low voice saying "Kurapika-kun, we have a situation here." Kurapika seemed unsure of what was more important but decided to go as soon as he heard the next panicked knock, grabbing his weapons, two wooden sticks, to leave. He faced me as his warning echoed.

"Do not leave this room, I have more questions." The door closed behind his beautiful blonde hair. I had the urge to jump out of the bed and leave, yet I held myself back with a sigh and rolled around the bed for a few minutes.

I silently left the bed when the coast was clear, stared at the scarlet eyes one last time, if those were expensive there'd be no way Chrollo would've let them go. So... probably a copy? How could they be a copy? I shook my head slightly, my H/C hair shifted, following the movement, and I ran out of the room. It was time to leave before everything turned worse than it already was. I had to pass by the Spider's hideout to kick Chrollo's ass first though.

I passed by my hotel room and packed everything neatly in a small suitcase, paid for the services and left. Carrying my suitcase to the Spider's headquarters. A bad decision since it was a really weird location and I couldn't call a taxi to take me there. Well after Feitan's spartan training, carrying heavy suitcases felt like a vacation.

I waltzed inside the wrecked building, there were little to no people inside. Odd. Well, they were mourning Uvogin, couldn't blame them. He had something that made people root for him, wonder what it was...

Chrollo wasn't there, so I picked a vacant room with nothing but a falling apart roof and shards of other walls. What had happened to this place anyways? I took out a pen and a beautiful blank notebook...

×××

I was awakened from my trance by a heated discussion, I got up from the shard I was laying on. Writing had felt good, but I felt incredibly sore, stretching I assessed my physical situation. Not bad. Almost tripped on the way out, lazily walking I met the source of the mad voices. There stood the troupe members, their voices carried urgency since something serious had happened.

Not wanting to interrupt I laid against a wall, only to cough like hell and make everyone aware of my presence. Way to go. They mentioned that Chrollo had been taken by the chain user.

"What is it Y/N? Know something? Why are you here?" Machi said hurriedly, she seemed to be almost panicking, weird for a member of the Phantom Troupe but, heh, their leader had been kidnapped. Hisoka was laying against a wall, right in front of me yet something was wrong. He wasn't chilling in a creepy way like usually, he seemed stiff, the perverted aura gone. I raised an eyebrow at him before my eyes went back to the pink haired girl.

"Well, the chain boy caught me last night. He kind of questioned me about some unrelated stuff, so I answered and he didn't think I was worth it, I guess... But Chrollo is, huh?" I rolled my eyes, "Karma's a bitch I guess, I came to kick his ass and someone is going to do it for me!~"

 But Chrollo is, huh?" I rolled my eyes, "Karma's a bitch I guess, I came to kick his ass and someone is going to do it for me!~"

Art By : Robert Draw (www.deviantart.com/robertdraw)

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I LIVE. I AM ALIVE. OK DEAR READERS I AM SOOOO SORRY...

ALSO THIS IMAGE IS SO COOL. WOWS

GUESS WHERE'S ILLUMI?

> Edited 14.02.2021 <