LXIII. Declaring War

Finished my soup, feeling a slight bitter aftertaste on my mouth, now they didn't even try to hide the poison. "Well, talk about not connecting with people..."

"You seem to be on good terms with him." Illumi shot, challenging me as we locked eyes. I, of course, matched the intensity back.

"So do you, yet I don't see neither of us trusting him with important tasks he doesn't have an interest in doing. Calling that good terms is an overstatement..." The bowl was taken away, and the plate under it filled with a triangle of rice, surrounded by colourful vegetables and an egg on the side, all of this coming from my peripheral vision, since I was on a stare down with the mesmerizing void eyes.

Illumi seemed to agree with what I said, resigning to not having a way to snap back.

"Kalluto said something about you two fighting, I see it is true." Kikyo decided to take the silence as a cue to take over, I saw Illumi's eyebrow twitch before he caved and turned to face his mother as he replied.

"Yes mother, Y/N doesn't find me a good company." I scoffed, bringing the fork to my mouth and munching on the rice. Taking my sweet time.

"Going by the way you treat me, it feels like you can't stand me, there are times where you're incredibly rude." His eyebrow arched, eyes narrowed as he looked at me, his lips now a straight line. "How much of that can be your quirky personality?"

"A lot," Kikyo answered instead of him, probably feeling left out of the conversation. Silva had finished his meal in silence and was now just staring at what was unfolding as he waited for everyone to end the main dish, so dessert could be served. He looked so done with everything already. "one needs to be ruthless to be an assassin."

For a second, I wanted to look shocked at what his mother had just said but then I remembered this was a seriously messed up family and household. Why wouldn't the emotionless and cruel behaviour be rewarded when what they wanted was to raise killing machines and not children?

Killua was different but he was a child, he ran away trying to discover new things... If he hadn't found a challenge worth, he would come back and be moulded to the shape of these cruel people. Illumi could've been a pure angel but he was raised by these people. So yeah, he was a complete asshole but a lot of it came from his education.

The people we are today are shards of the people who interacted with us since birth untill now...

I must've stayed in silence for quite the time because Silva seemed pleased at the speed everyone was eating and Kikyo didn't meddle into my deep thinking.

The meal progressed quickly, now a perfect slice of strawberry cheesecake was in front of me. I grabbed the golden dessert fork and felt myself melted away with the creamy deliciousness.

"Y/N dear, do you have any more promises to keep or will you be staying for longer?"

"Well," I looked at Illumi, after all he was the boss right now, and thank the chocolate lord, he complied.

"She'll be staying a long time, after all, she did miss the mission that she was going to help me with, but I am sure more will come along in the future." Kikyo and Silva nodded, clearly having more information than me on the matter. "Also, I believe you should keep testing her, mother."

I glanced up, panic filling me, Illumi was looking at me amused. Kikyo's loud gasp overshadowed my low cursing, "Oh, really? I knew you two seemed to be fighting like a couple. Ah can't wait to test her to the best of my ability!" She stood up from her seat, fixing up her dress, signalling the end of the meal and walked towards me. "I can't contain my excitement, my oldest son possibly marrying..." She went off, casting a hand to caress my h/c hair. I decided it was time to leave and avoid Kikyo's traps already. The danger alarms on my brain going off all at once.

"You should prepare yourself, Y/N dear, it won't be easy..." So Illumi was going to kill me before the wedding if I passed Kikyo's exam. Who knew if I could survive it... Obstacles just kept piling up in front of me, couldn't life be easy for once?

"Yes, I'll do my best, and I have to thank you Kikyo for the kindness of the blueprints. I shall attempt to return to my room by myself." I smiled politely.

"Surely you could stay for a bit more, maybe have some tea as we talk?" How was I getting out of this mess?

"I'd love to, I'll have to delay my writing. I've had the most interesting idea some days ago and was waiting for a good time to start it..." Would that work? I forced my sad look.

"Oh really? What is it about? It sure has been a while since a new book came out..." Relief washed over my face, and I slowly got closer to the door.

"Oh... I can't tell the idea when it is just raw, to a reader like that. It needs to be polished to shine its brightest. I'll let you read it, when I finish and everything is set to publish though. A little treat for the kind hospitality."

She seemed pleased with that, I had quietly reached the door and looking one last time to the room, now only with the butlers, Illumi and Silva had evaporated as soon as the meal was over. I opened the door for Kikyo, remaining courteous. Exaggerating a bit on the fake smiles, but from the next day on it was going to be war. She would be cruel, manipulative and would try to break me in every possible way. I saw her walk away, devious red smile on her face, before pulling out the blueprints.

 I saw her walk away, devious red smile on her face, before pulling out the blueprints

Art By: rabiscosetal.tumblr.com 

Author's Note: Hello lovelies~~~ What did you think of this chapter??? :3