LXXVIII. Death Dance

Needles flew, hitting most of the ants in my way, as I got closer to Illumi. "These are a lot of ants..." I screamed, decapitating a lizard looking one.

"Apparently these are the minions and the higher ranks are on the outskirts of the city." I rolled my eyes, of course we'd save the boss for last, like a true videogame.

More needles flew, and now puppet ants attacked their breed clearing our path. "Doesn't it tire you? To have so many puppets?" My eyes fell on his large back, where his dark long hair dangled as he walked to what I assumed was the path to the higher ranked ants. I could only dream if he agreed to be tired, and then proceeded to take out my needle, those foolish thoughts were pushed away as he replied his voice almost inaudible over the chaos of ant annihilation and human screaming.

"No. It's fairly normal."

Here and there, lines of humans fleeing the city were seen, more often than not those were disrupted and turned into a bloodbath. Shivers went up my spine, as I saw the gruesome scenes.

My lips parted, wanting to ask Illumi if we couldn't help those people, but the negative answer I'd get kept the words from leaving them. A dangerous-looking brown bear with eagle wings approached flying, as we neared the large nest looking thing. A needle flew sinking into his skull the moment he landed, right before he could even talk.

"How anticlimactic, Illumi." I shrugged, as silence came and the two guards at the door lurched toward us, they were very similar looking, ant heads but bodies of birds, exoskeleton overtaking most of the feathers. My katana punctured it's way through ones neck, and the puppet bear ripped the other one apart with ease. Dark blue blood stained my hands as I forced the blade out, cutting off the head.

We walked inside, stepping on twigs and sticks, shielded by the large bear, I guess he did come in handy. Easily defeating a turtle-beaver, a ripped monkey-spider, a giant fly and a bunch of wolfs looking mixes with all sort of animals.

The path led us to a large I'd say bird ballroom, with no ceiling showing the setting sun spraying the sun with shades of orange, pink and red. A fox awaited us, red feathers went from her neck to her wings hidden by a rather normal looking tank top and she had two sets of arms, these ones scaly looking with claws at the ends. Her legs were hidden by large flowy pants, a warning ran on the back of my head as her seven fox tails filled with feathers that looked like daggers rose and gained a life of their own as she approached.

"Who are you to disturb my nest?" A deep raspy voice echoed; it was a very sexy voice too bad it came from an enemy. Illumi blinked, his puppet running head on to his death, soaking one of the red tails with blood.

"Not a very smart move." I whistled, hands gripping the handle of the katana, assuming a fighting stance. Illumi simply nodded, not surprised by his puppet's behaviour.

A few needles flew towards the neck only to sound like they hit metal and fall on the floor. Like it would be that easy to defeat the boss. I replicated my katana and dashed taking at swing at the legs, using a considerable amount of strength. The blade broke, shattering to the uneven sticks that created the floor, I cursed under my breath and ran for my life as the tails tried to deal some damage on my beautiful person.

I escaped by a single hair and remained in the safe distance waiting for Illumi's next move. He didn't falter approaching the fox fearlessly pulling out a taser from his pants, humming in a curious tone. So he wouldn't pull out the big guns in front of me huh... Smart move, there was no way the needles were the only thing in his repertoire. I huffed, frustrated but my eyes followed his shadow as he dodged most blows gracefully, drawing back and forth, his calculative mind designing a plan to get close enough to test its theory.

A few minutes later, the taser went off on the boss's wing and the feather armour curled up, displaying its weakness underneath. A screech of rage filled the air, making me shudder in response.

My mind was running fast, and soon it hit a solution, the feathers were back to its defensive position no longer surprised. I replicated the original unbroken katana once again many times.

"Illumi." I stared into his void like eyes as I threw most of the replicas to his side. A flash of doubt crossed his eyes, but he grabbed two and kept dodging the attacks distracting the enemy.

I took a deep breath, the most random weapons proved to be useful in the most unexpected moments, I called forth Lissandra from a book called Bonded By Flames, she had killed herself with gasoline and a lighter. A cold metal lighter formed on my right hand as a large flask of gasoline appeared on my left one. It felt wrong to use these. Something that was used to take her own life... I brushed away such thoughts as my feet tiptoed closer to the and that now only screamed curses at us and questioned who we were. I tried not to waste gasoline on the floor, soaking her until there wasn't a drop left. Illumi caught on approaching her as well pretending to use the katanas but not exerting nearly any force. When I flicked the lighter and tossed it to the bird fox an anguished scream left her sharp toothed mouth.

The feather armour curled and Illumi proceeded to jab as many katanas as he could on the little space between them. I did it too, the ant ran from side to side trying to put out the fire and I thought it was all pain until I saw at the corner of my eyes, the large feathery tails looking extremely dangerous heading towards me as a smirk formed on the creatures lips.

"Y-/N" A faint warning left Illumi's lips, I cursed dodging most of it and receiving the rest with my right hand thickly covered in nen. That blow had me rolling on the air, hitting the twig throne that proved to be a painful stopper to my flight.

My vision blurred as tears welled on my eyes and when my senses were reasonably good enough, all I saw was the ant laying down all my katanas disappearing allowing the blue blood to flow, parts of the floor were on fire and Illumi casually strode to my side, offering a helping hand.

What did I miss in the moments where everything was spotty and blurry? Those were my worries as we quickened our pace to escape the now raging fire that started spreading and killed the remaining of the troublemakers.

Art By: (@ myeeeeeeeeee   - Twitter) 

Author's Note: Hello lovelies~~  

How are you doing?? I'm sorry for the delay ~~

 Hope you enjoy the chapter