Chapter 8 part 3

I waded onto the balcony, the chilled winter air cutting through my skin. I leaned against the railing, taking in every twinkling light that played through the night.

I hadn't talked to Nathen since that day I had walked off from the feild, and if I saw him tonight, I don't know what I would say. I caught a sight of Allice chatting with Conrad and mason as they leaned against the wall, I quickly hid behind a pillar before he could see me.

"Avoiding the crowd are you?" I nearly jumped out of my skin as a person spoke next to me. I glanced over to see a face I didn't think I would run into tonight.

"Maxwell," He was the son of my father's co worker, I hadn't spoken to him in years, but he knew everything about everyone. He shot me a half grin, turning back to admire the view.

"Did you know that Nathen was the son of the president," words spilled out of my mouth before I could hold them out, and I cursed myself for being so upfront.

"Why, do you like him? And his father hid him for reasons I can't really speak about, it's personal, my father told me." I blinked, I had always thought the president had no children, and I guess it had been that way for years until now.

"No, I just, I always wondered who he was," Maxwell glanced at me, studying my expression. I used to have feelings for him, and he had kissed me under the apple tree on my 13th birthday.

We were not allowed to show affection to others, however many did it in secret, that was a rule constantly broken.

"Watch your step, people are already talking, they don't need another scandal to gossip about, steer clear of any confrontation." I nodded at his request, Maxwell placed his head on his palm, staring down at the floor, before he issued  me one last piece of advice,"Blair's father is not being sent away for no reason you know, and it isn't about what happened years ago, and you didn't hear this from me."

I nearly fell after he had spoken, my head already spinning with questions, how did he know so much? Blair's family issues were no secret to the whole town, though this new piece of information had been.

What had her family done?

I didn't speak after that, choosing instead to keep to my own thoughts as I continued farther down the balcony, not daring to look into any windows.

Inside once again, I remained on the outskirts of the dance floor, as a fast song buzzed through the speakers, I spotted Blair dancing with Megan, a sweet smile playing at her lips. She looked amazing tonight, as though she didn't have a care in the world, I wished she didn't always attempt to hide herself, and that once in a while she would stand up for what she believed in.

My eyes drifted to Nathen, he was surrounded by girls, who all begged for a second of his attention, he stood, the image of his father, with his aligned face, and dark hair that accented his face. His tuxedo fit nicely, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen the resemblance before.

Shya was among the group, sparing glances at Conrad as he ignored her, continuing his chat with Allison and Mason. I hadn't noticed I'd been staring at Nathen until he caught my gaze, refusing to break it.

I stood there like a deer in headlights, everything seaming to grow silent as all faded into the two of us. Nathen broke through the crowd, scrubbing a hand through his hair as he reached me, bowing down to place a gentle kiss on my hand.

I lifted my head to meet his deep gray eyes, filled with something I couldn't decipher. "Where have you been," his deep velvet voice sent a flurry of butterflies dancing into my stomach. Everyone crowded in around us, and I knew I would only have him for a moment before he would disappear like he always did..

"Your the presidents son," I stated simply, only loud enough for him to hear, his expression didn't change, as he studied me.

"You figured something out that everyone already knows, but you can't see past another person, be careful." I nodded, heat rising to my face at the mention of his name.

Nathen lifted my hand to place one final kiss on it, however before his hand slipped away, he slid something into mine. "Have a wonderful night Drew," he shot me a wink, before emerging into the arms of a tall blonde.

I nodded, "I'll try Nathen." He didn't hear me, as I walked to the side with eager hands to unfold the note. 

Tonight after the dance meet me by the doors, I want to show you something

✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

Ahhhhh, look at all these secret romances, and we got a glimpse at some more things from her past

Why do you think Conrad and Allice are sneaking around?

What do you think he wants to show her?