Ch 17 p 2

"Are you coming," I blinked, as I stared at the trap door, much like the one I had seen before. Nathen had already started down it, assuring me that we would be safe.

I began my trek down as well, how had he even found all of these? "Where do you find these," I let the first question spill from my lips before I could stop myself.

"Many of them used to be abandoned mines, and I built them up." What was he talking about, what was a mine?

"A what?" I questioned, after we had reached the bottom. Nathen dusted off his hands, turning to face me as he popped a flashlight that hung from the ceiling on.

"Your hands are bleeding," he dodged the question, pulling me forward, how come he never answered anything I asked? I remained impassive, my eyes pouring over my wounded hands.

"You sure get hurt a lot," I wanted to huff at his statement, it was all his fault that my hands had bled, well kind of.

"Be lucky I came with you," I shot back, "and besides it's not even that bad." His eyes latched with mine once again, his fingers tracing the edges of the womb.

I wondered if he treated Alice like this, and if he would declare her his wife, I knew one thing, I was not going to sit around and listen to it all.

"Why are you so nice," I broke the silence after Nathen had dropped my hands, running his hands through his hair and walking off into the distance.

"I have this book for you," he pushed something into my hands, and as I glanced down, I realized it was my finding paradise book.

"Thank you." I mumbled, following him as he put some kind of a code and a door opened.

My eyes nearly bugged out of my head, we were standing in some kind of lab. Nathen closed the door, walking with me toward a machine, it wasn't big, it looked close to a mini airplane like structure, but it had an open top so two people could sit inside.

"Do you remember any of this?" I blinked, what was he talking about me remembering stuff.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Nathen didn't seam to take well to my words, he began pacing, deep in thought.

"Drew, one year ago," he wasn't able to finish his statement, before something fired up above us, gunshots.

Nathen didn't take a second to panic, racing over to me, his eyes alight. "Shhhh, it will be okay," he pulled me down another hall, securing the room that we were just in. I didn't even have time to think, everything was happening so fast.

We heard voices from above, loud and clear, "Nathen, give us the girl, and both of you will not be harmed, if you fail to work with us, then we will collapse your little hide out, and you both will parish in a fire."

"What are they talking about, how do they know about this place?" Nathen said nothing, tightening his grip around me as though I might disappear at any second.

Nathens breathing was ragged, as he clung onto me from behind, his head pressed against the side of my face. We stood there waiting, for what, I knew not. One two three, What was it like to die? I had never really thought that much about it.

Nathen didn't move, as the shouts and sounds grew louder, how come it was worse to give me up then to die? I tried to focus on the way his arms felt around me, or the sound of his breathing, steady and at times uneven, the hallway grew hotter and hotter. And I squeezed my eyes shut, everything around me wailing as though life itself had come to an end.

"Is death paradise," I whispered, letting myself drop to the ground, Nathen followed suit, his arms tangling with mine, time non existent.

My heart hammered in my chest, my eyes burning as smoke crept in through the thin ceiling. "They will stop, they won't really kill us, we are too important." I glanced up at Nathen who sat behind me, his head resting against my shoulder blades.

"I never liked Conrad," I mumbled to myself more then Nathen, I don't know why I said it, but it just was on my mind, I was hoping what Nathen said was true as the smoke thickened.

Shot after shot, and then we heard the voices again. "We found it, We are coming in." I laid back leaning my head against Nathens arm, Pulling my knees up to my chest. Maybe if I made myself small enough, I would vanish.

"You deserve so much better then him," Nathen muttered against my back, just as two flashlights landed on us.

🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾🦾

Ahhhhhh, this chapter was so intense, and I loved writing every second of it.

Wow, why do you think they are so important?

I hope you enjoy and I will try and update as soon as possible