Ch 11 p 2

"I didn't expect you here," I mumbled, my eyes latching with those of Maxwell, my father's co workers son.

I hadn't spoken with him since the dance, and ever since Conrad, things had gotten awkward between us.

He had been my first kiss after all.

"Yes, I was invited here by special invitation. How are you, I hope you are doing well." He scratched the back of his head, glancing around. I followed his gaze to see Shya clutching Conrad's arm, her lips turned up into a playful smile. Mason stood next to them, Allice on his other side.

"Yes, I can't believe the grand Assembly is so soon, I feel far from ready." He nodded, grabing two drinks off of a nearby tray.

" Champagne?" I nodded, seizing up the glass from him, in all honesty, I really didn't know how I was going to survive this night.

"Things May get hard, but always remember to stay true to yourself, and true to the country." He always had been an inspirational person, leaving everybody with a word of advice.

"Whatever you say Maxwell, don't stay away for too long." He grinned, taking one last glance at me before bidding me farewell walking off with his father.

I once again was alone, however the show was about to start, music already sounding from the stage below. Everyone filed into their seats, mixing around me as I felt like a bird in a flock of doves.

"You coming," Conrad questioned, walking over to me, Shya was with Allice, talking about who knows what, her eyes though were watching Conrad's every move, she acted as though they were already together.

"Yeah I am," he placed my hand in the crook of his elbow, making an effort to show us off to everyone, was this a game to him.

I linked eyes with the President, who sat in the top box, his wife next to him, the seat on his other side vacant where Nathen would have sat. I wondered how I hadn't known who he was, or realized untu until There had to be a reason.

"Why do you always think about him," Conrad's question shot me out of my daze, he must have caught me staring at Nathens empty chair. I blinked a few times, as though the right answer would appear in front of me. Conrad kept his bright blue eyes fixed on me, his jaw set into a hard line, as it always was, perhaps an artist had carved it.

"I wasn't," I realized I was becoming a bad liar, and Conrad knew it. His expression was one of alarm, I knew it was against the law to lie, but I found myself in many bad situations, it was a bad habit I was falling into.

"It is against the law to lie, you know I could have you put on trial, but we wouldn't want that now would we." His lips turned up into a mysterious smile, as though he was hiding something. I knit my hands together, I couldn't get that voice in my brain to shut up.

There is no way out of this, you are digging yourself into a hole so deep, you will never get out.

"I suppose," I mumbled, my misty green eyes connecting with his once again. How could he control me so much, the real question was why did I fall into his trap.

He leaned closer, his lips brushing against my ear, sending a shiver up my spine, I attempted to compose myself, as heat flooded into my skin at his contact. "I can read you like an open book, I know about your daring thoughts, I'll let you go if you agree to come with me to the lake tonight , it's not like you are doing anything anyway."

I squeezed my hands together so tight my nails cut into my skin. Girls were not allowed at the lake, so how come he wanted me to go? I knew that he was not joking about the agreement, which led me to nod in agreement, right before Shya slid into the seat on the other side of him.

I had the urge to roll my eyes as she turned to him, with a clown smile on her face. "I have the craziest story," she squealed, wrapping her thin long fingers around his forearm. He turned to her, sending the snake herself a friendly smirk before intently listening to her stupid story.

I knew I was pouting like a child as I watched them, but I could not help it, I craved the attention I got for him, and I didn't want to admit it, but I had fallen into his trap, and there was no way out now.

Nathen had vanished when I needed him the most, he would act as though I didn't exist in public, and Conrad would show the world how important I was.

I had made my choice, there was no turning back now.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Happy Easter everyone, thank you so much for 1000 reads and all the support.

What do you think of Conrad and her little chat, as well as the chats with one of her childhood friends?

Thank you so much, and don't forget to vote and comment