Chris Benoit Double-Murder and Suicide

[OVERVIEW]

The Chris Benoit double-murder and suicide refers to a three-day period between June 22 and June 24, 2007, when Chris Benoit, a 40-year-old veteran professional wrestler employed by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), killed his wife Nancy Benoit and strangled their 7-year-old son Daniel before hanging himself. Autopsy results showed that Benoit's wife was murdered first as she was bound at the feet and wrists and died of asphyxiation on June 22. Nancy was found wrapped in a towel and with blood under her head, although Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard reported no other signs of a struggle.

The couple's son, Daniel Christopher Benoit, also died of asphyxia, apparently killed as he lay in bed on the morning of June 23. Then, on the evening of June 24, Benoit died by suicide in his weight room, when he used a weight lifting machine to hang himself, breaking his own neck. He placed copies of the Bible alongside the bodies of his wife and son, as well as a third Bible on his weight lifting machine.

Since Benoit's suicide, numerous explanations for his actions have been proposed, including brain damage, steroid abuse, and a failing marriage. The incident led to numerous media accounts, and a federal investigation into steroid abuse in professional wrestling.

On Monday, June 25, 2007, WWE (specifically John Laurinaitis, the WWE's Senior Vice President of Talent Relations) was notified of the text messages sent to Chavo Guerrero and Scott Armstrong. The company asked the Fayette County Sheriff's Department to check on the Benoit family. After discovering the bodies, the police notified WWE around 4:15 p.m., informing them that they had discovered three bodies at the Benoit home and the house was now ruled as a "major crime scene".

A suicide note was not discovered during the initial investigation, but a note was later discovered in another Bible that had been included in Benoit's possessions that were sent to his first wife.

[ENTIRE FAMILY WAS MURDERED]

As stated above, it was believed that Chris killed his wife and son but no one could believe it. If you ask wrestling fans today most will tell you that Chris didn't kill his family because a lot of things just do not add up.

Chavo Guerrero - a close friend of Benoit- told WWE magazine that he talked to Chris for while on Friday night on his house phone. About 45 minutes into the conversation, Chris told him that there was somebody knocking at his door and he was going to see who it was. Shortly after Chris answered the door, there was a "scuffle" and then his house phone line went dead. Chris could only be reached on his cell phone about 3 hours later. This is very significant as if the entire family was murdered by a third party it would explain why there was no forced entry, Chris let them in.

After Chavo reached Chis on his cell phone, he said that Chris sounded very odd, groggy and tired. He also said that Chris told him "I Love You Chavo" which sounded forced. Some WWE officials also said that when Chris called in and told them that Nancy and Daniel were sick he did not sound like himself. He sounded groggy. Chris then said "I Love You" which they say was out of the ordinary because he usually didn't say this.

Another thing is that Chris' cellphone was missing. It's now 2019 and his cellphone has still yet to be discovered.

Also, Chris' position has changed multiple times. When first reported he was hanging from his weight lifting machine, and it's also the official story. However many officers who were there gave conflicting accounts. One said Chris was not hanging from the weight machine, he was laying on the floor underneath the machine. Another officer said that Benoit was "slumped" against the weight machine.

Another thing people find weird about Chris' body is that there was a white cloth wrapped around Chris' neck. If he was so suicidal why would he care if his neck was bruised?

As stated at the beginning, Chavo and Scott received texts on the following Monday. What people don't know is that these texts actually came from Chris' phone. But if Chris killed himself on Sunday, how did he send a message from his phone the next day?

The police had stated that steroids were found in his body but the steroids found in his home were not the kind found in his body and the needles he injected himself with were no where to be found.

In the message that Chavo was sent from Chris' phone he included his address. Why would he do this? Chavo already knew were Chris lived. He spent the previous weekend with him.

Something else people find odd is if Chris killed his wife one day and his son the next day, why did Chris feel the need to text people? His family was already dead, why not call people. They wouldn't be able to make a noise. To some it just doesn't add up.

Someone who worked closely with the case stated that Chris' body was just as decomposed as Nancy's body, which wouldn't be the case if Chris killed himself 2 days after he killed her.

Chavo also said that Chris Benoit seemed "worried" about something but he could not get Chris to open up and tell him why he was worried.

The toxicology confirmed that Chris had Hydrocodone (pain killer) Xanex (anti-anxiety drug). These 2 drugs combined would have sedated Chris and make him very sleepy. So he could not fight back. Making it easy for someone to hang him.

The police changed the manner of Daniel's death 3 times. 1st he died from a garbage bag, 2nd he died from a choke hold, 3rd he was smothered by a pillow. Why would they keep changing it?

The police kept changing the location of where Nancy's body was found as well. 1st she was found in the downstairs family room. 2nd she was found in their office. 3rd she was found in the bedroom. Why keep changing this?

One motive the police came up with is that Chris and Nancy were having numerous problems, but the people closest to them didn't support that argument. Chris' father said that Chris called him on father's day and told him that he wished he could spend more time with his family but he had to work. One of Nancy's friend says that Nancy Loved Chris and she had no plans to leave him.

People also find something else very odd. Retired Wrestler Bam Bam Bigalow died 1-19-07. Sherry Martel died 6-15-07. The Benoit family died 6-22-07. Since this family died, 2 other wrestlers had died. (Brian Adams and Johnny Crush in July and August 07) Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Brian Pillman all died the night before they were set to win title belts. Sherry Martel's death is even more suspicious to many. Sherry Martel had ties to Nancy Benoit's ex-husband Kevin Sullivan. The circumstances surrounding her death have never been released.

Speaking of Kevin Sullivan, people actually believe he is the one who killed the Benoit family. People close to them said Kevin absolutely hated Chris. At the time Kevin was on the board of directors for the WWE. People have even said they heard Kevin threatening to kill Chris. Kevin hated everything about Chris and hated that he was married to Nancy. People think that's why only one of Chris' children died. Because Daniel was the only child Chris and Kevin's ex wife Nancy had. Chris' other two were from a previous marriage.

Dusty Roads said that "he danced with the devil" when working with Kevin Sullivan who is known as being Cold-hearted and conniving.

The Benoit family was murdered on the 10-year anniversary of Nancy's divorce from Kevin Sullivan.

Weeks before he died, Chris Benoit's colleagues said that Chris began taking alternate routes to and from work and back to his house. Chris and Nancy believed that somebody was following them. Chris' friends dismissed his worries as paranoia.

But the most interesting part of this story is that a statement regarding Nancy Benoit's death was added to the Chris Benoit English Wikipedia article 14 hours before police discovered the bodies of Benoit and his family. The article originally read: "Chris Benoit was replaced by Johnny Nitro for the ECW World Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy." The phrase "stemming from the death of his wife Nancy" was added at 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 25, whereas the Fayette County police reportedly discovered the bodies of the Benoit family at 2:30 p.m. EDT (14 hours, 29 minutes later). The IP address of the editor was traced to Stamford, Connecticut, which is also the location of WWE headquarters.

[THOUGHTS]

Do you think Chris really did kill his wife, son and then himself?