Dorothy Scott

[OVERVIEW]

Dorothy Scott disappeared on May 28, 1980 after taking a co worker to the hospital. She was 33 at the time.

[KIDNAPPING]

Dorothy Scott was divorced and lived with her 4 year old son, Shawn. She made a living working as a secretary for a shop that her father owned.

She was known as being quiet and religious. She kept to herself most of the time. When not at work she would stay at home, rarely leaving, in order to focus on her child.

Months before her disappearance she started to receive strange phone calls. The caller sounded angry and obsessive and made it clear he knew where she was. Dorothy said she recognized the voice but could never really match the voice to a face.

On the evening of May 28 she dropped her son off with her parents, Vera and John as she had a staff meeting at 9 pm.

During the staff meeting she noticed a co worker named Conrad acting ill and he had a rash on his arm. She grew worried and took him to the hospital along with another co worker named Pam.

On their way to the hospital Dorothy made a stop at her parents to let them know she would be a little late (that way they wouldn't worry) and she decided to change her black scarf into a red one before leaving.

At the hospital Conrad was told he had been bit by a Black Widow but was okay. He was discharged around 11 pm. Dorothy offered to pull up in the car that way Conrad wouldn't have to walk very much in his state. Pam and Conrad had went to the bathroom but when they came out Dorothy was no where to be found.

They waited outside for 20 minutes before they noticed her car. They saw it coming towards them at full speed with the headlights on full beam. The car didn't stop and instead left the parking lot, turning right and turning the headlights off.

They figured there had been an emergency with Shawn and had to leave quickly, although they did find it odd that she didn't stop really quick to let them know.

They wanted an hour before deciding to call her parents to see what happened. That's when they informed them there was nothing wrong with Shawn and they hadn't seen Dorothy. That's when they called the police to file a missing persons case.

Around 4 pm the police came across Dorothy's call in an alley 10 miles away from the hospital. The car was on fire and Dorothy was no where to be found. The police told Vera and John about the car and not being able to find their daughter, and strangely enough told them not to go to the papers with the story of their daughter.

By the end of the week Vera started to get phone calls just like her daughter had. The man would taunt her and tell her he has her daughter.

It took another week until her parents disobeyed the orders of the police and went to the papers about their daughters.

After the story ran the editor of the article got a phone call as well. They said "I killed her. I killed Dorothy Scott. She was my lover and I caught her cheating with another man. She denied having someone else. I killed." He also mentioned that Dorothy had a red scarf on after changing from a black one. Aside from her parents, Conrad and Pam no one else could have known this besides the person who followed her.

The voice also said that Dorothy called him that night and told him where she was. This was something Pam said didn't happen as her and Dorothy were together all night up until they went to the bathroom but there were no payphones near by that she could have called from.

Calls to Vera kept coming for the next four years. He would only make the calls when Vera was home alone. If John were home, there were no calls.

Until one day John was home and Dorothy's kidnapper called the house. John has answered the phone and the man instantly hung up. After this no more calls were made.

3 months after the calls stopped a construction worker ran up on a body that had been identified as Dorothy Scott. Many of her belongings were on her. Her watch stopped on May 29 at 12:30 am, the day after her disappearance.

It's believed her kidnapper met Dorothy and created a relationship with her. He truly believed they were together. After following her that day, seeing her with Conrad, he believed she was cheating on him. Hence why he said she was his lover and that she cheated on him but she denied it.

[SUSPECTS]

The first suspect was her ex husband. He was ruled out after having a solid alibi. People don't really believe he killed her or even stalked her because both Vera and Dorothy would have recognized her ex husbands voice.

The next suspect was Michael Butler. After Shawn grew up a bit him and a blogger revealed that they believed Mike had killed his mother. Shawn said Mike was obsessed with his mother.

Mike didn't work for John however his sister had. Mike met John plenty of times. Dorothy also met Mike a few times, but not many times. Many believe this is why Dorothy recognized the voice but couldn't figure out who the voice belonged to. It could explain why the voice hung up when John answered the phone, because John would know who it was.

Mike was never a viable suspect in the police's eyes.

No arrest has been made in her case.