DC Comics

[OVERVIEW]

From the DC Universe we saw some of the most iconic superheroes ever created. Names such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. We also saw some very iconic villains. The most well known DC villain is probably The Joker. Today we are going to check out some theories about this universe.

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE THEORIES ABOUT THE COMICS/NOVELS ONLY! THE MOVIES ARE NOT REALLY APART OF MOST OF THESE! UNLESS I BRING UP A SPECIFIC DC MOVIE!

ALSO, important note, most of the theories that come from the comics/novels will come from three major ones. These are The Killing Joke, The Golden Age and New 52 Jokers. If you haven't read these then not all of these might make a lot of sense but you can still enjoy if you are a fan of DC!

[KILLING JOKE]

Batman: The Killing Joke was a one shot graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. It had an impact on the Batman family as well a shift the the Batman narrative. It's also been called the greatest Joker story ever told. When it released it faced many controversies, including the treatment of Barbara Gordon. But we won't be talking about that today. Instead we will be talking about the very end.

The end is left open as Batman laughs with The Joker. While many took it as just Batman on his last rope and laughing at the joke that The Joker made, many don't think it ends like that. Many think Batman kills The Joker.

There isn't much evidence to support this but legendary Batman writer Grant Morrison has stated he too believes Batman killed The Joker at the end.

[JOKERS TRUE IDENTITY]

One of the biggest mysteries in the DC universe is Joker. Who is he? How did he become The Joker? What had he done to become so evil?

While the backstory told in The Killing Joke is considered canon in the DC universe even Joker says himself in the same novel that even he isn't sure of his real origin. Then, during the Darkseid War, when Batman sat upon the all-knowing Mobius chair and asked it what the Joker's real name was, the chair revealed that there are three Jokers.

One fan theorized The Joker(s) could be Gelos, The Greek God (or personification) of Laughter. Joker laughs at pretty much anything and everything. Pain, death, and lames jokes and puns. So it wouldn't be that far fetched to believe he is the personification of laughter.

[BATMAN IS FAKE]

Batman is like heroes like Wonder Woman, Superman, The Flash, or Green Lantern. He is literally just a man. So how is it that no matter who he faces he almost always comes out on top?

One fan thinks because his life as Batman isn't actually real but rather consisted of simulated fantasies controlled by the executives at his father's company, Wayne Enterprises (similar to The Truman Show), with his trusty butler Alfred Pennyworth in on the ruse.

The theory is supported by the fact that Gotham Police uses the Bat Signal to call for Batman, which would allow for Wayne Enterprises to allow Bruce to play out his crime-fighting fantasies. This theory would also explain why Batman never loses his fights, why no one in the Batman Family really stays dead, and why Batman's villains always return to fight another day.

This theory isn't saying his parents are alive. His parents did die in this theory as well. But the company knows how much Bruce wants revenge and to fight for justice and setting up fake situations to make Bruce fight is their way of letting him life out his fantasy without him actually knowing they are staged.

[BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL]

Due to the massive popularity of Tim Miller's Deadpool movie, most people now associate medium awareness -- a character who acknowledges that he or she is a fictional character, part of a medium, also known as breaking the fourth wall -- with the Merc With A Mouth. However, Deadpool isn't the only character to possess the ability of medium awareness. In fact, one comic book fan has put forth some solid evidence stating that the supervillain Darkseid, the totalitarian monarch of Apokolips, also has possesses this knowledge.