Facts

[OVERVIEW]

I'm bored and decided to give some facts and insights on killers. Not about a killer in particular, just some things to help understand why they do what they do, how they get away with it for so long and stuff like that.

Now many of these will just talk about serial killers but there are a few points that may talk about one off killers. I won't be covering mass shooters in this chapter.

[LEADING COUNTRY]

When it comes to known and documented serial killers around the world (even ones that haven't been solved yet) one country has the most serial killers.

With nearly 3,000 documented serial killers, making it 67% of all serial killers, United States has had the most. Shocker, I know.

England has the second highest number of documented serial killers with 145.

[RACE]

In America Serial Killers come from just about every background you can possibly think of.

However over 50% of them are white with the average age of 33.

[LEADING STATES]

While all 50 states have had (or currently have) a serial killer, the top three states are New York, California and Florida.

[TYPES]

There are two types of serial killers.

You have the classic serial killers. These are the people who usually stalk their victims and is often sexually motivated.

Then you have the spree serial killer who is often driven to kill for "the thrill of it."

Although some serial murders have been committed for profit, most lack an obvious rational motive, a fact that distinguishes them from political assassinations and terrorism and from professional murders committed by gangsters. Serial murderers are assumed to kill for motives such as sexual compulsion or even recreation. In many cases, the killings are thought to give murderers a feeling of power—which may or may not be sexual in nature—over their victims.

Most victims have been women, children, immigrants, lower class people, and homosexuals.

[FIRST DOCUMENTED]

The first documented serial killer was Locusta, a Roman woman hired by Agrippina the Younger, the mother of Nero, to poison several members of the imperial family; Locusta was executed in 69 CE.

They have also been documented in medieval England, Germany, Hungary, and Italy.

The French baron Gilles de Rais, who is the likely model of the character Bluebeard, was executed in the 15th century for the murder of more than 100 children, though it is open to question whether the charges against him were true.

Although it is likely that serial murder in Asia and other parts of the world has a similarly long history, documentary evidence of early examples is scarce and controversial.

In the 20th century, cases of serial murder received widespread coverage in the news media. Some murderers became known by nicknames, such as the Boston Strangler, the Düsseldorf Vampire (Peter Kürten), the Monster of Florence, and the Killer Clown (John Wayne Gacy). Their crimes, which both horrified and fascinated the public, raised numerous social and legal issues, such as the tendency of police to be less thorough in murder investigations when the victims were poor or of low social status.

[OBSESSION]

Have you ever wondered why the general public seems to care so much about serial killers, both in reality and fiction?