Predictive Programming

[OVERVIEW]

Predictive programming is a theorised method of mass mind control, proposes that people are conditioned, through works of fiction, to accept planned future scenarios.

Researcher Alan Watt defines this phenomenon as "the power of suggestion using the media of fiction to create a desired outcome".

Details of pre-planned societal changes are intentionally revealed to the masses through various forms of media. Propagandists use this type of foreshadowing as a means of pre-emptively minimising resistance. Repeatedly exposing the public to the same specific themes should wear them down into a state of passive acceptance. By the time said changes start to manifest in reality, few will even think to question the developments, let alone rebel against them.

Fiction is the vehicle used to deliver these "predictions" for an important reason. When most people watch a film for example, they see it as a benign form of entertainment and nothing more. Therefore, as the viewer's guard is lowered, messages can bypass the normal critical thinking process and download directly into the subconscious like a virus.

For predictive programming to work as a valid form of psychological conditioning, the following set of general rules and assumptions have to be made:

A group of powerful people (with a common agenda) might be able to exert a special influence over the entertainment industry.

People are less likely to resist societal developments that they've already been familiarised with.

The messages planted within fiction can vary in terms of their subtlety, ranging from subliminal clues to important plot points.

Although predictive programming prepares people for large social change, specific events can also be foreshadowed.

The exact contexts of the "predictions" (and the subsequent reactions of the characters within the story) aren't strictly important.

From the perspective of a controller or social engineer, predictive programming would be invaluable. You could prepare a population for future social or technological transitions by gently washing notions over them, as opposed to suddenly hitting them with seemingly radical and unfamiliar measures.

Concepts that may have originally seemed outlandish or drastic start to become accepted as distant possibilities in the minds of the public. Eventually, as people are continuously bombarded with the same familiar themes, these "distant possibilities" start transforming into "likely possibilities" and even "acceptable outcomes".

Zombie-fiction is perhaps an extreme example of this. Just imagine how many people have secretly conjured contingency plans for zombie-apocalypse-type-scenarios, despite only ever seeing these events occurring within the realms of fantasy.

Perhaps dystopian fiction isn't designed to warn the masses of a nightmarish future at all, but is instead meant to hammer home a sense of inevitability regarding these bleak outcomes. If even the most courageous fictional heroes fail to avoid such a miserable existence, what chance do we have?

This effect could be likened to a large-scale version of self-fulfilling prophecy. Tell people enough times that they're destined to live as microchipped serfs under a one-world government and eventually their own beliefs (and behaviour) might start to reflect this hopeless prophecy. Once these cynical expectations of the future have been firmly established, a disillusioned population will not be surprised when these depressing predictions start to come true.

The reasoning behind predictive programming may not even be entirely practical. Some have suggested that, like a stereotypical villain revealing his master plan to the protagonist, the social engineers feel obliged to disclose their intentions to the population before they act.