The Boy In The Box

[OVERVIEW]

In 1957 a box was found in the woods containing a body of a young boy. He was never identified and known as The Boy in the Box and Americas Unknown Child.

[DISCOVERY]

On February 23, 1957 an unnamed man went out into the woods to check his muskrat traps. There he stumbled upon a baby bassinet box with the body of a young boy inside. He decided against going to the police as he knew his traps were illegal. So instead of reporting the body he left.

Two days later, a college student named Frederick Benosis was spying on girls at the Good Shepherd School when he too came upon the body. Benosis was also reluctant to notify the police, but a day later he nonetheless reached out to the authorities.

The boy was completely naked, and his hands and feet were wrinkled as if he had been submerged into water before he died. Furthermore, his esophagus contained a dark substance suggesting that he might have vomited shortly before he died, the cause of which appeared to be several blows to the head.

Surprisingly, even though the case attracted significant media attention, no one ever came forward to identify the boy.

[PROGRESS]

In 2002 a psychiatrist contacted police on behalf of her patient, Mary. Mary claimed to know the boy found in 1957.

Mary confided that her parents bought the boy and used him as a sex toy. According to Mary, her mother had been bathing the boy when he suddenly threw up. Angered, Mary's mother beat him to death. Mary claimed that she accompanied her mother to Northeast Philadelphia woods where they wrapped the boy in a blanket, placed him in a box and left him there.

The investigators were convinced Mary was telling the truth but after her name was leaked she left the country and never returned