Disney Theories Part Seven

[OVERVIEW]

Back at it again with the Disney movie theories!

Today we will be going over Snow White, The Lion King and Pinocchio!

[SNOW WHITE]

This theory started with a buzzfeed comment created by a user named Matt Morgan.

He claims that Snow White actually did die and the prince was an angel of death.

"The prince is supposed to be kind of like an angel of death, basically a happier version of a grim reaper. When Snow is being careless around the well at the beginning of the movie, the 'prince' hears her and goes to investigate. She gets her first glimpse at the prince when she gets her first glimpse at death; when she almost falls into the well and dies."

As Morgan notes, the Prince comes to Snow White again after her next brush with death-this time thanks to that poison apple.

"He arrives on a pale white horse (which is what Death was often portrayed riding at the time). He kisses her. The 'kiss of death' is a way people knew someone had passed before they knew about taking pulses. When you die, the air is expelled from your lungs. Folklore said this was death kissing you to take the 'breath of life' from you."

He went on to say "Snow and the Prince say goodbye to the dwarfs rather than bring them along because they're going somewhere the living can't follow. They then ride off to heaven or a heaven-facsimile afterlife, where we see the last shot of the movie: a castle-shaped cloud surrounded by golden light."

[THE LION KING]

[THE LION KING]

Are Simba and Nala related? According to this theory there just might be.

Nala's father has never been known and fans believe that her father may be Scar.

This theory doesn't just come off of reddit, but also a university study. The study showed female lions prefer a darker mane, which Scar has. So it isn't impossible that Nala's mother got with Scar.

Lion expert Peyton West says, "Males want to win fights without actually fighting so they assess each other on the basis of the other lion's mane... Females may simply use an easily assessed indicator of male quality which is really there for a different purpose."

In short, Scar had the darkest mane of all, so it's safe to assume he was popular with the lionesses.

And if you go with just in movie clues, Nala and Scar are the only lions with colored eyes, and they both happen to be green.

When asked at a 2004 panel who Nala's father was, directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff responded:

"Finally, after talking a little bit about how lions operate in real-life prides the general assumption was that Nala's father was 'either Scar or... Mufasa'."

So the directors pretty much confirmed that the father of Nala is either Scar or Mufasa, and most fans do believe it is Scar.

However, they still may not be related. To find out why, read the next theory.

[THE LION KING]

What if I told you Scar and Mufasa are not actually brothers?

We all know the plot, Mufasa is killed by his vengeful brother Scar. He takes over Pride Rock before Simba comes back.

But in fact Scar and Mufasa may not actually have the same parents.

HelloGiggles sat down with Rob Minkoff and Don Hahn, the director and producer of the animated classic and said,

"[While making the movie] we talked about the fact that it was very likely [Scar and Mufasa] would not have both the same parents," Hahn explains to HG. "The way lions operate in the wild...when the male lion gets old, another rogue lion comes and kills the head of the pride. What that does is it causes the female lions to go into heat [to reproduce], and then the new younger lion kills the king and then he kills all the babies. Now he's the new lion that's running the pride."

"There was always this thing about well, how do you have these two [male] lions?" Hahn continues. "Occasionally there are prides that do have two male lions, in an interesting dynamic because they're not equals [since they don't have the same parents]. One lion will always kind of be off in the shadows. We were trying to use those animal truths to underpin the story so we sort of figured Scar and Mufasa couldn't really be from the same gene pool. In fact, that's what [Scar] says. There's a line, he goes, 'I'm from the shallow end of the gene pool.' When he's talking to Mufasa, when Mufasa gets mad at him for not coming up to the coronation of Simba."

Even though Mufasa calls him "brother," and he's very much part of the lion family, he - along with everyone else - knows that he doesn't really belong there. He's the lesser of the two male lions in the pack. And that causes him to go rogue and kill the king.

[DONKEY AND PINOCCHIO]

In the story of Shrek, he comes into contact with many fairy tale creatures. One of which are Pinocchio. In the movie he gets sent to Pleasure Island where the boys get turned into Donkeys. While the Donkeys who don't talk get sold, we aren't told what happens to the ones who still know how to talk.

What if Donkey was on Pleasure Island? What if he was a boy who got turned into a Donkey?

When we first get introduced to Donkey, he's with an old woman trying to turn him in for 10 shillings. The woman promises the captain of the guards that he is the "talkingest damn thing," but a scared Donkey refuses to speak. He stays quiet until a sprinkle of Tinker Bell's pixie dust levitates him into the air where he finally proclaims, "I can fly!"

So why do many think this?

1. Donkey is the only character that doesn't come from any known fairytale. Pinocchio is the only character from the fairytale creatures whose movie features donkeys. So this could give Donkey a possible backstory.
2. Donkey makes a comment in "Shrek the Third" about having haunting flashbacks of swirlies and wedgies. (Maybe he was a real boy at one point in his life?)
3. In the first movie Pinocchio and Donkey get turned in at the same time. This could just be coincidence, but what if it was a clue?
4. In the third film, when Puss and Donkey switch bodies, Puss can't seem to stop hee-hawing. Donkey then explains "You'll learn to control that." This scene resembles a part in Pinocchio where our puppet pal begins laughing so much, he begins to hee-haw.

This theory originated on Reddit by a user named YeremyV. He has since deleted the original post but fans still seem to believe that Donkey was a boy on Pleasure Island.

[THOUGHTS]

Which theories do you find fascinating?

Are there any Disney theories I haven't covered that you want me to?