Chapter 32 - Risk

"We get it! Stop narraring and send me down already!" A woman with dirty blonde hair demanded.

"Alright! Can I have five people step up!"

At your call a woman holding a child, an elderly man and woman, and the dirty blonde stepped up. The blonde looked ready to leave and tapped her doot impatiently.

You made quick work of making a barrier around them, smashing the window into a wide opening and pushing the barrier out.

They seemed terrified as they plunged down but as your barrier made contact with the ground, it told we and shattered, leaving the people shocked but unhurt.

You repeated this one more time before all that was left was a little girl. She had black hair in pigtails that matched the lady that had wanted you to go up on the ground. In her arms was a little tabby kitten toy.

"Alright, I'll go down with you, are you ready?" You asked, voice softening.

She nodded quickly and grabbed your hand as you offered it to her. Suddenly, the building shook, throwing you both off balance as a loud popping noise emitted from the walls and ceiling.

"What?! It cant be! The fucking building is-"

Before you could finish your thought, everything came crashing down. It was no help that it was also set ablaze. You had no time to make a barrier for the girl, you panicked and made a split second decision.

In that second that the building collapsed on top of you and the girl, you transferred the shield that had safely been wrapped around you for years and gave it to the girl instead.

You kept your arms wrapped around her and turned so her back was against the ground. An enourmous weight was suddenly forced onto your back.

You could feel a few embers burning you and sharp bits of building stabbing you but you kept your arms snapped open so the girl wouldnt be crushed.

At some point she had started crying, although you were positive it was from fear and not pain. You gasped out and panted heavily as pain swept your body. The most excruciating of all of it was coming from your left side near your hip.

You didnt dare look at in incase what you saw made your muscles weaken.

"Ah-Are you okay!" You asked in a strained tone.

The girls tears began to subside and she gazed at you with wide blue eyes.

She nodded her head and sniffed.

"I lost my kitten!"

"The toy?"

You offered her your best smile, your arms and legs beginning to shake as they strained to keep up the increasing weight.

"I-Its ok! I-I'll get you a new one, does tha-that sound good?"

The child smiled and hugged you as best she could.

"Miss! You're leaking!" The girl cried in fear as she look at her arm which was smeared in your blood.

"O-Oh! That's ok, by th-the way, what's y-your name?" You askedb trying to distract her from your injuries and the terrifying situation.

"Aina" she answered, smiling once more.

"Ver-Very nice, I'm Y/n." You could feel sweat beginning to drip from your face.

Your muscles burned and ached but you stubbornly refused to let go.

"Someone please hurry!"

Your vision was beginning to get spotty and bright lights were flashing in your view.

"A-alright, Aina. I'm gonna ne-need your help" you spoke as she looked at you qizzically.

"Ok!"

"I need you to start yelling... I'm getting t-tired and your mom doesn't kn-know we're here.... S-s-so y-yell as loud as you ca-can." You wanted weakly.

Aina obeyed quickly. She began calling out loudly, her high pitch voice making your ears ring slightly.

Just as the world began swaying under you, the weight was lifted. You immediately collapsed as the girl was lifted out. Your lungs begged for a deep refreshing breath but you could only manage weak pants and wheezes.

You could feel yourself lifte up and out as well. You forced yourself to stay awake, the sights rushing by in a flurry of shapes and colors.

"I cant pass out! Im not that weak! I will stay up!"