17 - Pranks and Anxiety.

The screeching of the tyres as we landed on the parking lot rings through my ears but the thudding of my heart and the rush of my blood is all that drowns me.

What happened that my parents call me to the hospital in the middle of the day? What happened?!

I almost pushed down a nurse who was carrying a tray filled with tiny bottles and syringes for me to realize that I was standing in the middle of the reception area.

Sam went to the receptionist asking for my parents, while Ronnie and I are trying to calm down but it is obviously not working because I'm still shaking.

My body can't control itself as light tremors rake me up and down as tiny hills rise on my skin.

" No record of any body in your family is admitted right now. " Sam says, running a hand frantically through his hair, his breaths are heavy, I know we are all worried. So the longer we stay in the dark about what the hell is happening, the better our chances of a heart attack.

" What do we do now, they said you should come to the hospital, right Clary? " Ronnie asks, looking as equally anxious as the rest of us.

" T-they called principal Higgins...to...to send me to the hospital. " I stammer out my words

"Are you sure?" she asks a hint of frustration in her eyes.

I was taken back with her words, " Of course I'm sure, except principal Higgins is in the art of pranking his students. "

Sam's face lit up for a millisecond when I called principal Higgins a prankster, " What if we're over reacting...what if your mom is pregnant or something-"

" And she just wants to tell you the good news immediately. " Ronnie cuts in.

" Do you think she would want to give me a heart attack because she's pregnant. " I ask no one in particular.

My mom could be a joker sometimes, once she faked a faint in other to cut to the front of the line in the bank. Thinking about my mom, Maybe she could do something like this to me.

I laughed. " Yeah, she could. My mom totally can. "

Sam and Ronnie join in on the laughing. " Your mom can do crazy things, I bet she's laughing at us right now. " Sam said.

"See there's nothing to worry about, everything will be fine. " Ronnie says, " C'mon, let's go find out if they are even in this hospital." she says loosening her tie and untucking her shirt.

Sighing deeply, I walked to the glass wall at the other side of the reception area. Two doctors were lounging around, drinking coffee and laughing together, some people were just sitting around, probably waiting for their appointment or to visit a family member, I hardly come to the hospital, so how would I know how it feels.

The outside looks more peaceful than in here, the sun is shinning brightly- almost like it's laughing at me for falling for a prank, the trees and grass gives the surrounding, an outdoors kind of feeling, like I'm in the woods. It's beautiful and serene, but in here, a chatterbox of a nurse is talking on the phone and ruining my peace.

"...don't forget to order the Chinese food, you know how much I love my noodles...my shift would soon be over... nothing, I would have checked out for the day but an emergency case came in this morning and Dr Grey  wouldn't let me go... It's none of your business, haven't you heard of patient's confidentiality. " she chuckles, probably because of what the other person said.

"... Erm, a sweetheart that didn't deserve what they got...fine a...something... Maybe Julie... I can't remember...I really can't, I've been busy all through the night and now half of my day is gone..."

I didn't wait to hear the rest of it. What if we were looking for the wrong person or people. I half ran to the receptionist, Sam trailing behind asking why I'm suddenly anxious again.

" Has any Julian been admitted today?" I abruptly ask the receptionist, who looks like she works in a candy store not a hospital with that big smile plastered on her face.

" Hold on a minute, let me check. " she says typing away on his computer. "Yes, one Julian was admitted this morning, room 26, sixth floor. It's a private room. " she says before turning her attention to the guy behind me that's obviously angry I took his spot.

I mumbled my apology and went straight to the elevator, Sam and a confused Ronnie followed.

"Why are we going up, I thought we were going home." Ronnie asks, her voice slightly agitated.

"I know, I know, a nurse was talking about something keeping her from going home, a Julie, but she couldn't remember the full name. So I asked for a Julian and something came up. If the person is someone we don't know, we'll go get ice cream and laugh about our adventure to the hospital later. But please, follow me on this one. " I pleaded, I was beginning to feel tired too, I just wanted to check this out and go home.

Ronnie said something unintelligible and Sam gave a curt nod in my direction.

Sixth floor, Room 26. The door looks average, it slide open on its own when I step close to it, pressure sensor. Sam and Ronnie taking their time behind me.

But what I saw crushed me.

My mom and dad with Mr Julian huddled closely together. Alice asleep, curled up in a ball on the sofa and someone lying on the hospital bed, I could vaguely see the person because of the curtain but... No, it can't be.

Sam and Ronnie noticed my stop at the door and are now standing behind me. My hands start sweating again, my racing heart only made the adrenaline already in my system active more fear and anxiety. My head feels light again, and my breathing heavy.

I silently walk to the bed and draw back the curtains.

Stay Patient.
Toinpre.