29 - Choose Wisely.

"I don't know, I've never thought about it before," I confess and continue brushing her hair.

"You've never thought about it before?! Don't be naive Clary. I know you're not that dumb."

"So what if I've thought about it before. Right now, it's all about making good and meaningful friendships not relationships that would lead to nowhere," I got stuck on a knot that won't go away.

As I work through it, I remembered something Summer used to always say. "I rather not start something I can't finish. There's no point in starting to talk about dating with those boys when you aren't ready yet. They might not feel the same way you do about the matter,"

I drop the brush and bring her hair together close to the nape of her neck,
"Telling them anything you're unsure of right now could backfire. So please avoid the drama and don't say anything at all. Whatever is brewing inside your head and heart should be discussed and settled with Christ." With an air of finality, I take a pin from my hair and holds her stubborn strands away from her face.

"What would I do without you?" She says softly, a bit too softly and pulls me into a hug.

"You would have been in a bucket load of drama," I tease and pull away.
"Whatever you're thinking about right now might just be a phase, don't let it cloud your mind. Okay."

She nods and admires her hair with a mirror she brought out from her own backpack.

I watch her and wonder what made her voice her opinions. I've known for a while she has been thinking about this but she hasn't said anything up until now.

It leaves me wondering if...

"Hey ladies!" says Eden, who just came out of nowhere.  What are you all talking about? "

"Erm...nothing." Ronnie answers, looking like she just got caught stealing.

And you think Eden is dumb enough to believe that nothing is going on.

"Are you sure? You don't look like nothing was going on." He observes.
I knew he wouldn't be fooled.

"Yes Eden. We weren't talking about anything important." She fumbles with her hair, trying to look clueless. But it's not working on Eden.

"But Sam said –"

"We got invited to Jace's party next week." Clary to the rescue. "And we're deliberating to attend or not."

Eden's demeanour changes instantly.
"I'll tell you what I told Sam, I don't think you should go," His sour tone tells me that he's remembering old memories.

"But why?!" Ronnie whines like a two year old.

He mutters something underneath his breath and shrugs.

"Give us an answer Eden," I urged.

He doesn't say a word, just sits there, gingerly picking through his fruit salad with a fork.

"If you didn't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't have said anything at all!" I said, angry all of a sudden. 

He did it again, he muttered again.

"Speak up Eden, I don't think I hear you!" I keep pushing. There has to be a reason, and he's not telling us.

"I said I heard him talking in school today!" He says between gritted teeth.

Is he going through trouble telling us this, if he is, then it's worth the trouble.

Trying to calm myself down too, I asked another question, to persuade him to tell us more. "And..."