14 - What I Want Too

The French doors opened and the two most talked about people walked in. They surveyed the room, Clary noticed the awkwardness of the scene as she was sure Eden noticed it too. She concluded to ignore it. Her family was weird even on normal days.

"She's asleep." She said referring to Autumn. Ronnie took her daughter and placed her in the Barbie crib, her mother made for whenever Autumn was around.

Was it the queer silence or the seemingly suspicious glances? The atmosphere was different from what she had worked out of. Her mind went down to analysing the change while she reached for a plate of strawberry shortcake. And if it wasn't for the rumbling of her stomach she would have probably given much thought to it before Ronnie pounced on her.

"Well, well, how's it going, friend?" Reaching for a chocolate cupcake, Ronnie blocked her path to the champagne.

Clark groaned. "I thought women who have given birth to children lose some of their energy. What happened to yours?" Sidestepping her, she reached for orange juice instead.

"Too bad, mine is still at the full bar." Ronnie laughed.

"I can see that." Taking a seat by the window, she risked a lingering glance at Eden. Even though she didn't want to admit it, she basked in the memory of their moments together, whenever and wherever. It was the memory that brought back memories. From textbooks at her backyard to Saturdays by the lake (which Summer insisted was a just a big pond). A flood of feelings rattled her brain that she had to look away.

Conversations filled her ears but none entered her head. Now that her stomach wasn't blocking reception, her analysis continued. She had lived with the people surrounding her for too long to not know when they were hinting at something. "Hold up." That instantly shut them up. "Why are you all sounding like Brennan."

"Hey!" Brennan bit back.

"No offence, but you're a byword in this house," Ronnie explained while the others laughed at her display of shock.

"No fair! I can't even be myself without being judged. My life is a never-ending courtroom session." Brennan moaned but made no effort to leave. "So Clary, what's up?" She cupped her chin, her glittering nude nails tapped her face.

"Yeah, Clary, what's up?" Ronnie turned her attention to her friend.

"Nothing. If anything was up. You'd probably know about it." It was perplexing to see them so intrigued about anything. The last time, it was when Ronnie wanted to announce her pregnancy. Their eager ears and wide eyes chased Clary to the kitchen, finding Eden there, she shuffled closer to him.

"Hey, did you notice anything weird?" She asked stylishly when taking chilled bottled water from the refrigerator.

"Weird as in?"

"Weird as in, not the usual family weird." She uncorked it, taking large gulps. "I mean with knowing stares and unnecessary unimportant chatter. It's as if they are waiting for something."

"Oh! That." Eden said, rubbing a hand on his neck. "You know our family is weird, right?"

"Of course I do." Clary swatted his hand from his neck. "Now tell me what you know."

"I believe they have concluded that–"

"That what?!"

Eden's baritone laughter surfaced. "You can be as impatient as Ronnie sometimes."

"Yeah, yeah, I have my moments. Now spill." Clary put him back on track.

"You know, for someone who is quite intuitive, I'm surprised you haven't asked the right questions."