19 - Colours of Truth.

When someone wakes up for the first time in a hospital, you call the doctor, that's exactly what Ronnie did, she ran out to get the doctor, while the rest of us stood there like marble statues, unable to move because of the thoughts rolling in our heads.

A tan, muscular Caucasian walks in, sporting blonde curls and brown eyes.
His perfectly ironed white coat rubs against his blue shrubs. His bright smile brought calmness to the room.

"How are you feeling Summer? " he asked pointing a small flashlight in her eyes as he checks her vitals. The nurse replaces the empty drip fag with a new one and stands near the bed.

Summer mumbles a reply to the doctor. My friend, my dear friend's voice is barely a whisper. The dread and sadness brewing in my stomach starts churning again, I think I'm about to throw up.

The doctor, whose name I learnt was Mr Grey, left after he was done running tests on her, saying he needs to go check up on her labs and call her parents.

After he and the smiling nurse left, the tension in the room starts growing. There's too many unanswered questions, too many secrets that needs to be said.

It was the creaking of the bed as summer tries to sit up that sends us all warbling to the bed.

" The doctor said you should rest, lie down. " Ronnie pleads putting a hand on summer's shoulder and giving her a gentle push.

" It's alright, I'll manage. " Summer says still on her quest to sit up.

Eden, Sam and I watched as Ronnie helped her sit properly, putting the pillows behind her back.

" H-how are you feeling Summer? " My voice sounding shakier than I intended.

She smiles like she always does, " I'm fine but I've been better. "

I don't laugh like I normally would and no one gives a quirky comeback, her smile fades when she finally realizes that we need an explanation.

" I know you're all mad at me, I would be too," she starts sighing deeply,
" I had diabetes but we treated it when I was younger. I didn't think it would resurface because I kept to a strict diet and I took my insulin shots every day but... "

" It came back. " Sam completed.

I was mad at her for keeping such a big secret from us - from me - but I get it, no one likes talking about their past problems. As her friend I have to be mature about this, my attitude towards her may help improve her health.

I sit on the bed with her, unsure of what to say or do.

" It's okay sum, we get it. Just promise to get better okay. " I say putting my arms around her fragile frame.

" I'm going to get better. " she said widening her smile.

"That's my girl! " Ronnie praised.

" So without wasting much of our time, how was your date with Jordan?" Ronnie asked making a pale summer blush profusely.

" We...He... I don't know..." Summer tries to explain while covering her face with her hands.

" Ronnie, don't scare the poor girl. " Sam reprimands.

" Fine. " Ronnie huffs, taking a seat and crossing her sock-clad legs.
" But she'll have to tell us sometime soon, I can't wait to hear the details. "

Summer mumbles something with her hands still on her face, this makes Eden chuckle.

" Why the chuckling, Carter? " Ronnie asks him.