19 - Another Surprise.

"5...4...3...2...1...Happy New Year!!!" Everyone hollered gleefully, the firework display cementing the dreamlike aura of the night. But the aesthetics of the event could not be compared to the breathtaking picture of Clary on Eden arms.

Eden watched the bright smile on Clary's face, as she yelled in his ear. There was just something about her grin that slipped past his numerous defenses and made him into melted ice.

"Happy New Year Clary."

"Hey this is the first time you're calling me Clary."

"Huh, really?" Eden mused with a smile on his face.

"Yes, it really is. This is really a new year." Clary said one hand petting Snow and the other wrapped around Eden's torso. "A new year, indeed."

***

The stillness of the household was shocking, because over a quarter of the house guests were awake, lounging in the family room.

It wasn't the quietness of the morning that got to Clary but the girl yawning on her lap and the puppy, with his head snuggled by her side, that gave her a sense of serenity.

New Year's eve with a night to remember, it was even better after the party left. It was just the Wellington's and their sleepover companions, namely : the Allens, the Wilsons, the Julians and the Carter brothers, the Arlingtons left a few minutes after three in the morning.

"Hello World!" Amelia said with a skip in her step. Her unnecessary announcement brought a handful of weary groans.

"Man! Who'd have thought the New Year would ensue such groaning from the world, it's a new year for God's sake." Amelia braved a beautiful smile, dressed in a lovely red wraparound dress, her hair in a delicate curls around her face, as if she didn't also stay awake till five in the morning discussing life while watching chick flicks.

At her peppy comment, the entire room groaned in contempt.

"Oh come on babies, you have a new year ahead of you." Natasha walked out of the kitchen with a tray filled with a steaming hot beverage. She set the tray down on the coffee table and took one mug. She got comfortable on the couch Sam was lying on.

"Yeah, we know, but I for one need to get past this fatigue first." Sam groaned and snugged deeper into his blanket.

"Have a sip of my amazing coffee/ cocoa brew. You'll feel better in no time." Rose said, taking her own seat on a lonely armchair.

"How much coffee is in it mom?" Ronnie asked for her position on Clary's lap.

Rose took a long sip of her drink, "It's more or less a fifty- fifty thing." She said after staring deeply at her steaming hot drink.

"Bummer. If it was 70-30, I would have given it a chance." Ronnie turned her back to her mother and faced Clary's stomach.

"I'll have it as long as there's coffee in it aunty Rose." Eden said getting up from his spot on the loveseat next to the French window.

"Me too," Clary piped up.

"Me three." Jordan cut every one off guard, from the stairs.

"Ah Jordan, have you finally joined the land of the living. Come, you have a cup too." Natasha offered.

"Thank you aunty Natty." Jordan sauntered his way to the group of chairs and perched on the arm of Natasha's side of the biggest couch that held her and Sam.

"Aunty Natty?" Eden questioned, the words coming like a shocker to him.

"Yes baby bro, some New Year's resolutions have been made and aunty Natty here won't let our wager slide."