15 - Skip the Mascara.

"I'm grateful for my new family and my friends but I'm most grateful to see Clarissa smile again. This year has been hard for all of us but it was most difficult for Clarissa. Just a few weeks after Summer, the Egyptian goddess, as Clarissa called her," His remembrance of her nickname brought laughter to the table, a laughter tainted with the shadows of beautiful memories.

"A few weeks after she passed, Clarissa almost left us too. Escaping sexual assault from two hormonal boys and tumbling down the stairs, she fought on. Even through blindness she fought on. Now she's here, smiling and laughing – maybe because she took a little too much wine– looking like the star she is, I'm most grateful to God for you Clarissa, because you didn't let go."

At the end of his speech, he gave a raised his glass to Clary and everyone did the same before the clinking of glass commenced.

The tradition of saving what you were thankful for was in full swing as the stars twinkled. The cool breeze helped fast-dry the tears in Clary's eyes. Eden, who is seated next to her, gave his own speech, and it warmed her heart so much, she thought she was going to melt in the wind.

After the cheers died down, Clary needed no introduction as she pushed her seat backward and picked up the large canvas at her feet. Nervousness pooled into his bloodstream as sweat surfaced on her palms. She dried her hands on her blue jeans and plastered a smile on her face.

With all eyes on her, she took a deep breath. "It has been a year indeed, who'd have thought that in ten months my whole life would catch a curve ball. But through it all, we're still here, together. That's what I'm most grateful for, my family."

"If I only knew this night was orchestrated to make me cry, I would have put a hold on the mascara." A half crying, half laughing Rose said.

It was no new things that half the women were in tears, all their hours of makeup put to shame. The men, on the other hand, had stoic looks on their faces, they gave their speeches in sobriety. 

"I told you Rosie, but you didn't listen. Now I have to listen to you bawl all the way home about your makeup," Adam Wilson said, putting his arms around his wife.

"You're not the only one Adam," Pastor Allen said with amusement and wonder as Rachel clung unto him like her life depended on it.

"Sometimes I don't just get women," Sam commented from his place next to Ronnie. Ronnie shot him a glare and he chuckled.

"Spoken like a true man," His father said.

"But you're still beautiful to me, ruined mascara or not." Adam, who started the distraction assured his wife with a kiss on her head.

The young adults and the teenager aka Barry, gave scowls of disgust. Eden nudged Clary to continue after they settled down again.

"And I'm also grateful to God for giving me a second chance to be useful. In that light, I wanted to show you all the painting I just completed." Clary turned the painting around for the whole house to see.

"I don't even know what I painted. Is it okay? Is it beautiful? It was just a thought, I mean I remembered how the people I loved looked at me, and I wanted to express it... because I can't see your eyes anymore." Clary spewed words as her anxiety peaked. No one said a word, so she assumed her painting was terrible.

"Is it that bad? You guys aren't saying anything. I knew it was horrible but this..." Clary said insecurities lacing her voice as she tried to put the painting away.

"If you put that painting away, it's a crime against art." Pastor Allen said stopping his daughter. "Of course we're speechless, even though I saw the painting on my way back here, it still gets me every time. With the night sky behind it, it's breathtaking."