1- The Wait.

Eden memorized the patterns the monitor made. The dancing green lines lured him to a place where he could still smile. The drops from the bag above her mad him even more sad because he knew it would be a very long time before she could eat his sandwiches again. That's if she ever wakes up. 

Cool breeze brushed his skin, making him dig further into the blanket of his makeshift bed. He promised himself he wouldn't cry. Yet he felt tears pooling in his eyes.

Every day, it was the same routine. Home, school, hospital, home. But she has never shown signs of waking up. Just lying there with a perpetual frown on her face.

Was she crying when she fell conscious? Eden thought to himself but only she could answer that question.

On that faithful day, he was making more popcorn in the kitchen. His phone was in his room charging. None of them heard it ring till it was too late.

He was the first to reach the scene. The paramedics took her from his bloody hands. The truck driver died instantly so no one thought she could make it.

But the bright screen of the monitor says otherwise. And Eden promised to hold on to that hope.

"Knock knock," Aunt Nat joked.

She's been standing by the door for a while now but Eden didn't pick up her presence.

"Who's there?" Eden answered briskly without giving a glance sideways. His eyes glued on Clary's sleeping figure.

"Aunt Nat with coffee," She replied.
Taking a sip from her coffee, she walked in and took a seat next to Eden on his bed/couch.

The boy didn't smile as much he did before, she thought. She knew it was because of Clary but let it be.

"You should really get some sleep," Aunt Nat said as she watched him drift in and out of sleep. She felt sorry for the boy. He hardly did anything other than sit by Clary's side.

"I'm not sleepy." Eden yawned deeply, which made Aunt Nat laugh.

"I'm sure you're not, big guy." She laid his already sleeping head down on a throw pillow and tucked him in.

Since Summer died, the Carter brothers became more like family, than friends. A kiss to his head and with a click of the light switch, Aunt Nat closed the door behind her. But not before saying goodnight to Eden.

The hallways felt warm as she walked through. Or maybe it was just the coffee in her hand that made her feel better.

Something good was bound to happen. She felt it deep within and hoped it was Clary. Doctors didn't know why Clary wasn't responding but she refused to give up hope. For what is the future without hope.

As she watched the night sky twinkle with stars. Her pager beeped. She smiled and took a long sip of her coffee.

This is her favorite thing about night shift, there's enough time to think properly.

"Another emergency I presume." With that, she tugged on her coat and took the elevator down.

You: Do you know it's in third person?
Me: Of course I know. I wrote it, didn't I.
You: But...
Me: No buts. On with the story!
*Flies away dramatically like Thor*

Sorry guys, I was just joking.
So what do you think? Tell me everything, I want to know.
Expect another chapter soon!

Stay Beautiful.
Toinpre.