Chapter 11

I shudder every time I step on a branch or a leaf.

The air is crisp and cold on my skin. A light fog covers the damp ground. The wolves' scent is still fresh and quite easy to track.

The gun in my hands is shiny in the moonlight. The soldiers follow me from behind, I constantly look over my shoulder. All of them are using the heat sensors on their guns.

A red streak of blood is smeared on a tree a few feet away.

"He's managed to injure one of the wolves. He made it easier for us to track, Sergeant Clares." I say and point over to the bloody tree.

He takes a deep breath and inhales the scent. His ice blue eyes flash red for a second. He looks at me and nods.

"They're about 2 miles away, heading South." Clares talks into his radio and takes another deep breath, "Scent is oddly clear."

"I'll work out their possible path. Keep us up to date and be careful. Over and out."

"No time to lose then. They'll be very easy to catch, but we need to be stealthy. They know we're on their scent. We have to be precise and tactical. We will only engage when the strategic plans have been made by the squat team at the Mansion. We can't afford any mistakes."

Not with Frank in the middle.

"Yes sir." All of the men say.

God I hope Frank is alright. I know if he attacked one of the wolves, he wouldn't come out unscratched.

My eyes flash to the movement in the bushes. I hold my gun up with my finger ready on the trigger.

The gun gets heavy in my arms.

A brown furred deer jumps out of the oversized bush and continues to scavenge for some roughage.

I take a deep breath of relief and I signal the team to continue.

My radio buzzes in my pocket, I pick it up. All of the others speak.

"According to my calculations, they're moving towards the caves in the mountains. They're heading underground. Its a trap. They're setting us up. Over."

"What's the plan? Over." I reply and the men form a circle around me and the radio.

"We have to stop them for getting underground. We've already sent a team over. Over."

"Good," I pause for a second, "Is Andy okay? Over"

"He left."

"What? He's suppose to stay safe. You disobeyed my direct orders!"

"I'm sorry Commander. There was nothing I could do, he took matters into his own hands. Over and out." The radio goes off and I sigh in frustration.

***

I look over the corpse of my enemies. All of them are drenched in blood, slowly bleeding into the Earth. They all lay in front of the entrance to the underground, throats all ripped out.

"He's one persistent little man," Clares says and slings his gun over his shoulder, kneeling down next to a body and puts his hand on its chest, "Still fresh."

A small shiny object between the autumn colored leaves, catch my eye. I crouch down and pick it up. I slowly pull it out.

My breath quivers as I see Frank's wedding ring. It's covered in blood, his blood.

I see Andy coming to stand next to me.

"Who brought him?" I whisper to the man standing next to me.