Chapter 14

The medic and I watch over Frank as he is still asleep. The medic has managed to move him over into a bed.

The medic's jacket is covered in blood. He also takes his bloody plastic gloves off and throws it into a bin nearby.

"Thank you, sorry I uh, I don't know your name." I say awkwardly and rub my shoulder.

"No worries. It's my job. I'm Paul," He smiles kindly, "Don't worry too much about him. He'll be okay. He might be a bit disoriented or have a bit of a high when he wakes up. I had to give him a hell of a lot of that morphine, he estruggled to lay still when he was under. Lucky enough, none of his organs were damaged or no internal bleeding from his injuries. Thank the Gods."

"Thank God," I say and Paul pats me on my shoulder.

"He's going to have a long recovery period, since muscles were ripped and needed to be stitched up. In a few weeks he'll be good as new. Moving will be hard for him for the next week." Paul checks his clipboard and puts it under his arm.

"Poor baby." I mutter and stroke his cheek.

"Call me when he wakes up, I'm just going to clean up in here. It got quite messy." He uncomfortably laughs and walks out of the room.

I take Frank's hand, it's got a tube attached to it. I follow the skinny red tube, it leads to a big drip bag of vampire blood, hanging from a steel pole. It slowly drips and then proceeds down the pipe, into his veins.

I can smell Paul has started cleaning, I can smell the ammonia till here. It really had to be a mess in there.

Frank still looks pale. His skin is freezing, worse than any normal vampire's, but according to Paul he's getting better. The sticky pads on his chest move as he breathes. The monitor beeps every few seconds.

I kiss his hand and softly squeeze it, then I gently lay it back down on his lap again. I take his wedding ring out of my jacket's pocket and slip it back on his finger, where it belongs.

I turn my back away from Frank and get a chair to sit next to the bed.

I look over as someone knocks on the door. It's Andy. He stands there dressed in black as usual. His hands are behind his back.

"How's he doing?" Andy's voice is hoarse, he clears his throat.

"He'll be alright. Just in pain right now. Paul gave him a lot of morphine, so he might be out for a while."

"Paul?"

"The medic, sorry." I say awkward and look back at Frank, peacefully asleep.

Andy walks over to me, still with his hands behind his back.

"I bought him something, I hope he'll like it." Andy blushes and smiles.

Andy holds a brown teddy bear out towards me, with "Get well soon" printed on its tummy. I take the bear and put it next to Frank's bed on the little table. I let it sit up and turn it towards Frank.

"I'm sure he will love it." I smile at Andy, Andy blushes and puts his hands behind his back again.

Frank's fingers start moving. Andy points at it and I also spin around. Frank's body also starts moving around in his bed.

"Call Paul. I think he's waking up." I say and get up from my chair. Andy runs out of the room, calling for the medic.

Frank's eyes slowly flutter open, lifting his head to inspect the room. He looks around, resting his gaze on me, but then closes his eyes again, laying his head back down on his pillow.

"Geerarrd," He slurs, "Can you get an aspirin, I have a huge headache, well I'm sore all over."

Paul and Andy rush in. Paul isn't wearing his white coat but a clean grey shirt.

"Hey Buddy," Paul says and comes to stand next to Frank and pats him very softly on his shoulder, "Welcome back, how are you feeling today?"

"Can I have some more of that morphine stuff? I like it but it makes me feel weird but better. I have an huge headache and I'm sore." Frank giggles, "Woah, why do I have a needle in my hand?"

His eyes are big as he stares at the drip attached to his hand. I realized now that he's a bit high with all of that morphine.

"I can't give you more, you had a lot. The drip will make you feel better in a little bit. While that's working, try to rest."

"Okay." He closes his eyes, but then he opens them again, "I'm not tired. I feel great, I can go skipping in a flower field."

"Wait till that stuff wears off. He'll be back to normal then." Paul whispers to me and pats my shoulder.

"Can I tell you a joke?" Frank suddenly laughs.

"No." I roll my eyes and sigh under my breath.

"I wanna tell you a joke. You've always like my jokes, Gee. Don't be like you have a cactus up your ass."

"Frank, go to sleep."

"Knock knock." Frank giggles loudly like a little boy.

"Frank, No." Paul laughs and pushes Frank's head back onto the pillow.

Frank giggles and looks at Andy. He looks over his shoulder and lays his eyes on the teddy bear. He awes loudly and reaches his arms out for it like a child in a candy store. I hand the soft bear to him.

"It's so cute," Frank exclaims grabbing the teddy bear out of my arms, he cuddles it quite chuffed with himself, "His name is Bob."

Andy smirks and puts his hands in his pockets. I laugh while shaking my head.

"Go to sleep." Paul say and Frank closes his eyes. He cozies up with the bear in his arms and holds it tightly.

"I think imma go sleep with this fella over here now. Bob is cute," he closes his eyes and yawns, "Starting to think about it, I'm actually really-

Frank instantly falls asleep, softly snoring while still clutching onto his teddy bear.

"He'll be better later today. It wears off quite quickly. He'll definitely feel that wound when he wakes up again."

"Thanks, Paul." Andy says and looks at Frank.

He shakes his head and looks over his shoulder out of the window in the distance. I could tell he's a bit upset about the whole Frank thing.

"Don't look so worried little man," Paul pats Andy on his shoulder, "He'll be good as new in a week or two."

Andy shrugs and folds his arms. I chuckle and softly caress Frank's cheek. Bending over the bed railing, I kiss his forehead.

"Goodnight." I softly whisper and wipe the hair out of his face.

I put my hand on his cheek, he slowly moves his hand to touch mine. He takes my hand and cuddles it along with his teddy bear.