Chapter 13

The bath water is cold against my bare skin. The porcelain bathtub is freezing. I lay there, looking up to the ceiling. I've been in here for hours.

The wind still continues to howl outside and the rain knocks on my window. Lightning strikes every few seconds, lighting up my room. The thunder rumbles loudly.

I lift my hand and drops of water fall back into the mass. The sound echoes in the empty room. The silence is killing me.

I get out and wrap myself in a towel. The towel's rough hair caress my skin. I sit on the side of the bath.

"I've got to pull myself together." I mutter and get up, glaring at myself in the mirror over the sink, "But I can't." My voice cracks.

I start to choke up, a huge lump in my throat chokes me. My voice cracks and tears start streaming down my face as I silently cry. I can taste the salty sensation on my lips. I try not to start bawling like a baby, but I can't stop myself.

I sink onto the floor, covering my face with my hand. I don't know even why I'm crying, is it because of sorrow or frustration?

I'm angry at Frank because he offered himself up for me, but I'm angry at myself because I didn't do anything about it.

"Don't cry." A hand softly touches my shoulder and I spin around.

"Frank." I whimper and hug him tightly.

Frank puts his arms around me, holding me close. He is covered in blood, but I couldn't care. I sob on his shoulder and he continues to hold me close.

"What happened to you? Are you okay? Where were you? I was so wo-

"Shh, it's okay. I'm here." He holds my face in his hands, wiping away my tears.

"What happened to you?" I whisper and Frank puts his forehead against mine.

"Nothing I couldn't handle." He smirks and kisses my forehead, "I can't stay long. They're after me and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something had to happen to you."

"Can't you just stay with me, please. Don't go, I'll protect you." I whisper and Frank intertwines his fingers with mine.

"You can't." He kisses me and takes a deep breath, "Trust me, okay?"

"I'll find you." I whisper softly.

"I know you will. I'll be waiting."

"Frank, just stay for tonight." I whimper.

He kisses my forehead again and sadly looks away.

"I can't. I have to go."

"Please."

Frank looks into my eyes and he kisses me softly. He starts moving away from me, towards the window.

"No, please." I wail, but Frank continues to leave, jumping out the window.

I sit on the bathroom floor alone.

I wake up in a cold sweat and sit up straight. My hands are shaking, pulling up my sheets again. My tears are dried on my skin.

The room is almost pitch dark but the window's light lights it up. I look over at my window and it's still open. I get up to close it.

My floor creeks as I walk over. The weather seemed to calm down. I shudder and rub my arms. 2 AM, the clock displays.