The Explanation

(( ANGST WARNING!!!))

Keith's eyes struggled to open, feeling like they'd been cemented shut. His hands twitched, and the sound of a steady beeping noise could be heard behind him. Once his eyes were open, and his vision began coming into focus, he took notice of his surroundings.

The bright white light.

The steryl smell.

He was in the hospital. He sat up, looking around himself and beginning to breathe in a shallow fashion. Everything was coming back all at once, drowning him like a tidal wave.

" Woah, Keith, hey..." Someone squeezed his hand, and he looked to see Shiro sitting in the chair beside the hospital bed. Keith gulped, then made a confused expression at his brother. Shiro's entire right arm was bandaged up, and he was in a hospital gown as well.

" How? What? Where-" Keith talked rapidly, cutting himself off and feeling a panic attack setting in. There was so much that happened, and he could still hear the glass shattering in the back of his head, and his ears were ringing from the gunshots. He looked down at his hands, finding that they weren't stained with blood anymore.

" Lay back... calm down." Shiro told him, seeing Keith's heart monitor was going beserk to the side of the bed.

" No! Don't tell me to calm down! Where is everyone?! How are you alive right now?! Why are we not arrested?!" Keith panted and looked around, pupils shrinking to practical pinholes as he remembered it all.

Shiro looked to the side and down.

" I can explain everything." He said, and Keith felt tears forming in the corners of his eyes.

" Where's Lance?" He asked, and Shiro squeezed his little brother's hand more firmly. He clenched his jaw, squeezing his eyes shut.

" He's..." Shiro began.

Keith felt his eyes swelling with tears.

" In the other room."

Keith felt like someone knocked the wind out of him. So Lance had made it?! God! Shiro was going to give him a literal heart attack.

Keith tried to get out of bed, ripping out his IV and trying to lift his feet. The left one was especially heavy, and Keith realized there was a cast on it after he threw the blankets aside.

" Fuck! Find me some crutches! I need to see him!" Keith whined.

" Keith, Lance is in a coma." Shiro finally just came out and told him. Keith whipped his head around to face him. Tears dripped down his pale cheeks, and he clenched his fists. Blood dripped out of where he'd taken the IV out because of the tension, and Shiro got up to grab some gauze from one of the drawers. He pressed it on the vein, and Keith seemed to be in a trance.

Shiro looked down once more. He would have to tell him so much.

" You've been here for two days..." He said to the smaller male, and Keith stared off into space. " Your ankle was broken in the car crash."

" Tell me everything..." Keith whimpered, wiping away the tears from his cheeks hastily. Lance. That was all he could think about. He wanted to bound toward his boyfriend and tackle him in a hug, to take him home, to tell him he loved him.

Truthfully, Shiro wasn't sure if Ketih was capable of hearing the truth... but... he had the right to know. Where the hell did he start?

" What do you remember?" Shiro asked him, wanting to figure out everything first. Keith thought for a moment.

" L-Lance... James shot him... I killed James, called 911, then I stole a car and tried to get him to the hospital..." Keith smeared more tears away from his eyes, not wanting to let himself break down and sob. The impulse was there, as were the feelings, but he wasn't about to let the action take place. " I hit something... and that's all I know."