Chapter Eight

Jaslin had been dreeding her first ball or feast in the south. She may be a high born, but she was from a simple and small part of the North. The Starks had been good to her, but she did not dress in the fine clothes and dresses which the ladies in the south choose. She knew if she had asked Lord Stark for some new dresses, he would have brought her all she would ask for, but it had never felt right to her.

Instead, Jaslin settled on one of her old dresses for the feast and party to mark the end of the tournament. It was not like the dress she chose was ugly, it was the colour of the ocean, tight around her chest with gold embellishment, but free and flowing from there downwards. Having still refused her handmaidens, Jaslin had also had to style her own hair, which of course would not be to the standard of the south.

"Curse it. That will do me fine" she groaned after giving up on her appearance and heading out to the sun terrace at the red keep.

"Jaslin my child, you look beautiful as always" Ned had beamed when she joined them at the top table.

"Thank you Lord Stark and as does Sansa, but where is Arya?"

"She's rather be a wild cat than a lady and join us" Sansa huffed.

Jaslin raised her eyebrows at Ned and smiled as he just shrugged and grabbed for his ale.

After the meal, the feast turned more into a party and Ned Stark had obviously had enough for one night.

"Please father, please let me stay" Sansa begged him as he stood to leave.

"I shall keep an eye on her my lord" Jaslin chuckled and smiled at Sansa.

"Aye, fine" Ned groaned as Sansa quickly hugged her tightly.

Not long after Ned had left, Queen Cersi had called Sansa to her side. It was made painfully obvious that Jaslin was not invited, so she stayed at her place and drank down her fill of wine.

"Jaslin, come here child" Queen Cersi called out to her after a while.

Nervously, Jaslin stepped out from her table and went to stand by the top table, facing the queen.

"I was just saying was a beautiful sourthen lady Sansa has become. She is truly meant for Kings Landing" Cersi smiled wickedly as she folded a piece of Sansa hair behind her ear.

"Yes your grace. Sansa is a true and pure beauty".

"But you still dress like a northern... lady. Perhaps if you were not so quick to dismiss the hand maids I picked out".

"I fear that would not even help, your grace. I do not have the luxury of the southern dresses and fashion".

"Well I shall send my personal dress maker to you tomorrow. We shall have you become a southern lady as well. Then perhaps we can arrange a suitable marriage for you. Someone of your age should be married by now. I heard about the joust today, perhaps I shall arrange for you and Ser Gregor to meet. He is from an honest and loyal house".

Jaslin felt her body freeze and she could also see the sudden shock and fear on Sansa's face. Jaslin knew Cersi was trying to get a reaction out of her though, and quickly she remember her manners.

"That would be too kind of you, your grace".

Sansa spent the rest of the evening and into the night at the top table. Closely, she sat with her Prince, smiling and blushing as he complimented her and made silly jokes.

Jaslin was sat back away from the royals, drinking the wine at an increased pace as she had an internal melt down over what the queen had said.

"You look a true beauty" she heard someone announce behind her.