Chapter Thirty-Six

Jaslin had travelled for an hour before finally coming across some one. It was an older man, a man of god, who had settled now far away with his group of followers to build a Sept and home for his people.

The man was named Ray, a veteran of the War of the Ninepenny Kings and a former mercenary who had reformed himself and served the faith of the seven. Thankfully, Ray had had no idea who Jaslin was, and she had begged him to help, telling a story of how her husband and fallen down the cliff. Of course, Ray had helped the poor woman, and quickly followed her back to the man before bringing them both back to his camp.

Once Sandor condition had been stabilised, Ray had confronted Jaslin and asked for the truth. He could tell from the wounds that he had not merely fallen down the cliff, Ray also knew who he was and had heard stories about the man. Jaslin had been terrified that Ray would order them to leave, she knew Sandor would not make it a day without proper care, and quickly she began to sob and cry.

"He is my husband, that much is true. I am Lady Jaslin of the former House Frost. I was a friend of the Starks in the north and was searching for the daughters when we were attacked. I know you may have heard stories, but that is all they are, just mere stories. Sandor is a good man deep down, he has kept me safe and helped me in my mission, please, please allow us to remain in your camp".

"Aye you can remain here. The gods have seem fit to keep your husband alive, they must still have plans for you both. You will need to earn you keep though, you help the woman with the duties and once Clegane awakes, he can help us in building our house of worship. You find safety and peace with us here" Ray had smiled softly.

It had taken a week before Sandor finally awoke, and mother week after that until he was able to stand. During that time Sandor had become even more cold and mean towards Jaslin. Growing angry within an instant at her and refusing to speak. Jaslin would not give up on them yet, if what Ray had said was truthful, they had survived and found each other again for a reason.

One afternoon, Sandor had busier himself with shopping wood, as Jaslin kept her distant and helped the other woman prepare food.

"In all my days I've never seen a man swing an axe like that" Ray announced from behind Sandor.

Sandor ignored him and continued with his work as Ray came to stand by his side.

"How many men did it take to cut you down?"

"Just one" Sandor replied with a grunt.

"Oft, must have been one kind of monster. Anyway, come on, food ready" Ray chuckled.

Sandor threw down his axe onto the floor and looked over at Ray.

"You must be hungry after all that" Ray shrugged as he turned to walk away.

Sighing, Sandor followed the man back towards the camp. Both men joined the que for food together, remaining silent, until they finally approached the cooking standing and were passed a bowl of warm stew.

"You can have my share of the bread" Jaslin smiled hopefully at Sandor as she passed him two thick slices of white bread.

Sandor didn't look or respond to her as he snatched the bread and went to sit down with Ray.

"When that sweet wife of yours led me to you, I was sure you had been dead for days. She begged and cried for me to help though. You were stinking already, bugs all over you and there was gone coming right through your leg. That little lady of yours didn't seem to care though. She still clung onto you for dear life, kissing your forehead and praying as we brought you back to the camp. I reckoned you'd be dead before we got back, hell I thought you die another 12 times after that, but you didn't and that young lady didn't leave your side once. I thought at the time that Jaslin must have been the thing that kept you going, but when I see you both now... it wouldn't seem like that was true. So Clegane, what was it that kept you going?"