Chapter Fifty-four

The grounds of Winterfell had fallen still, no longer was there the sound of battle or death, only silence. The screams once heard had disappeared and with it, the dead.

Through the thick northern fog and smoke from the ground where the dragon fire had burned all around it, the living slowly raised to their feet. In the courtyard, towards the far south wall stood the doorway to the Cypts. Sandor Clegane was returning from within the castle walls, desperate to reach Jaslin when he saw it. Stood by the doorway was his wife, blood covered her dress and a thick sweat gleaned from her brow, but in her arms was the most perfect and smallest thing he had ever seen.

At the sight of her and their child in her arms, sandor suddenly fell weak and collapsed to his knees. Jaslin, finding a sudden strength at knowing he had survived, rushed over to him with their babe.

"Sandor" she cried and bent down to present the small child.

She had never seen him cry, not once through everything they had been through did he shed one tear. Yet now, as she knelt before him, their crying baby girl in her arms, she saw droplets of water roll down his cheek.

"It is a girl my love. Do you see, do you see her beautiful deep brown eyes, the same as yours".

"Let's hope that's all she get from me" he mumbled as he stroked the edge of his thumb across the babes small, soft cheek.

As the sun slowly raised higher in the sky, marking a new day and the end of the war against the dead, the amount of lost became more and more clear. Jaslin was remained in her room with Sandor and the baby, recovering from the traumatic birth, but both Sansa and Arya had been up to see them on several occasions. Arya had told her how she had cut down the night king which caused the rest of the walkers to perish. Jaslin could still hardly believe what a brave warrior she had become.

Later on that evening, Daenerys had also paid her a visit.

"I heard about Jorah. I'm sorry your grace, I know you were close" Jaslin sighed as Sandor stepped to the other side of the room for more wine as the two women perched on the bed.

"He was you blood as well. He died a knights death. Brave and honest" she whispered and reached out to placed her finger in the hand of the small child in Jaslins lap.

"It must have been so frightening, giving birth like that. I heard how the dead came back down there".

"Yes, I was thankful to have Tyrion and Ssnsa with me. I believe they saved my life in that moment".

"And now the last war begins. Everyone is celebrating this victory in the hall, but all I can concentrate on is the next goal. The throne, my rightful destiny".

Jason could see the almost wild hunger in her eyes and for a moment it scared her. "In order to have the strength to carry on you must allow your people to take joy in their successes. It will give them hope and confidence to take on the next herald. You should be with them, show face as their queen and join them in their merriment".

Daenerys had come to know that Jaslin would always provide her with honest and true council, and now was no difference. Smiling, she moved back off the bed and looked between the couple and their child. "You would make a great hand one day".

"Ah, but my grace. You already have the best in the seven kingdoms" jaslin blushed.

With that, Daenerys took her leave and finally Sandor and Jaslin were alone again. The moment the door was closed behind her, Sandor went over to lock it and then pull of his clothes. Jaslin always loved watching the muscles under his skin move as he undressed and despite only giving birth, now was no difference.

"Come to me" she begged as he walked to bed in his nakedness.

"You know I always will" he breathed into her neck as he crawled into the bed and placed their baby on his chest.

"I do" she smiled and turned onto her side to face him.

"You also know there is something else I have to do. Something I have to do alone" he whispered.in a husky voice as he slowly turned his head to her.

"I know".

"I will come back to you both though, this is nothing compared to what we have already faced. You know I'd never leave you forever woman".

Jaslin smiled this time and leant up slightly to stroke the back of their child which was sleeping on his broad  chest. "I know, plus we need to think of a name. We never came up with a girls name".

"We shall pick one when I return to you then" he nodded and gently kissed the child's head.

"When you return" Jaslin smiled.